Importing goods from USA - customs/tax cost?

Mr Panda

PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Hi - I'm considering getting a secondhand item (motorcycle exhaust) shipped from the USA. Any tax/customs issues to consider?

I've bought stuff from the states often enough before and don't recall any problems, but the seller in this case has alerted me to potential issues.

Any clues?

cheers

Re:

Depends entirely on what the senser puts there as value. I buy a lot from the States, and when I need them sent directly the seller can help me out by sending insured but declaring a relatively low value.

It is not illegal, as values are subjective on second hand items.

Shipping costs add to your taxes. If possible have it sent by overland.

Re:

As a rule of thumb, I would factor in import duty, vat and whatever 'handling' charge the delivery company seems fit to charge of between 20-25% of the purchase price AND the shipping. Brucie bonus if it comes in cheaper.
It really is a lottery but as lower stated valuation certainly helps

That and about £5 for the postcard from royal mail to tell you they have item that needs duty paid.

As Harry says, I always factor in 25% on top. If uit gets through unnoticed and charged then I am well pleased and if customs get it, then I am usually fine as I have allowed for it. Whatever the price just mentally add 20% if not 25% and think that's what it will cost.
Works for me.

Jamie

Back