Training tips for a race in two weeks, HELP ! !

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
None of this start training the year before a target race for me. There's a race in a fortnight, hmmm, think I might enter that! ;)

Two week training tips please, I've just entered a Euro Champs SS race! :shock:

I'm thinking, ride loads this week, and start of next week. Then easy before the event. Oh, almost forgot, there's a social ride the day before too.

Need to prep bike too, as it has, like, gears! :facepalm:

Yes, really!

OMG

Mike

Re: Training for a race in two weeks, HELP! !

OMG!!!!
you probably don't need to do too much training Mike as you ride quite a lot do some interval training and a couple of long rides as you raced before you know what works for you. One thing I will say is don't over do it and rest the day before the race doing just a little ride nothing hard look at your diet and eat the right stuff the night before and enjoy it don't thing about winning it.
GOOD LUCK

Re:

Cheers Clive,

Maybe leave the chocolate cake I bought just before, then!
Not a chance of winning it, there's a pack of Belgians heading this way, apparently! Maybe I'll rid in my Quick Step get up then! :LOL: :LOL:

I'll add to the thread below with piccies and stuff as things happen.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=363269

Mike

dont do what i do and drink a few bottles of ale before racing........so close to the podium last year it hurt, but ale tastes sooooooo good haha

that and ride ride ride and smile

Re:

There is a ride the day before. Around 30 miles. Social pace. May do that too.
Currently setting the bike up! There will be an angle grinder put to use! :shock:

Marginal gains? Meh, ride like hell til early next week, easy for a few days, then a ride the day before. Did I mention a pub lunch on that ride? :facepalm:
Brailsford? What does he know! :LOL:

Mike

Re:

In simple terms, you're f*cked :LOL:

Might as well carry on your normal routine, and have a few very easy days before the race.

What and where is this anyway?? I've signed up for SSEC2017 which is up here in Scotland in May, don't think I'll be doing any training for the "race" though! (I might try and improve my alcohol tolerance beforehand though ;) ).

Re:

Good luck with this Mike ;) can't imagine you need to do to much training :) but as far as the build goes....chain line is "very" important! and no skinny lightweight components, going to be alot of power going through them !! Oh and give it a good test before using in anger ;)

Re:

Here is the bike I'm converting to single speed for the race.

IMG_0837 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

As I'm a veggie, the bacon sandwich is not an option. Last one I had was on New Years Day, 2015. A moment of weakness, when I was out on a ride with a now-departed friend. :(

I am going to get it ready by this weekend, so will be able to test it out then. I'm leaving both mechs on, and screwing the adjusters down. Getting longer screws for the rear mech tomorrow. Removing shifters and their cables too. Single middle ring, and a single sprocket at the back, with spacers.

Been doing some intervals and strengthening quads a bit too. Not ridden ss before, so will have to get used to spinning too, I think! My base fitness is always good, commuting 21 miles a day, every day, plus whatever else I add on.

It is the SSEC race, Jim, this one.

https://www.sscxeu17.com/info/

If you read that, it's a fairly relaxed event, I'm thinking?

I'm guessing an hour or so for the race?

Mike

Back