legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Another one looming on the horizon

Does it solve the pollution caused by heavy goods vehicles, psv, private cars pumping tons of PN10 particles into the air via brakes and tyre wear?

No.

Does it help those who only buy cheap old cars (which is arguably more environmentally friendly anyway) and could never afford a 'new' car?

No.

Does it even enter the minds of people that, ok, their new wonderwagen pumps out flowers and fairies from its exhaust but its still as polluting as hell due to the fact it barely gets 30mpg. All that fuel needs to be put into the pumps via a filthy industry.

Are electric/ hybrid cars really the answer?

No.

Not when the range on an average cold January day can drop to as little as 60 miles for some models and charging points are available.

Something somewhere is very wrong with everything skewed to keep a bloated car industry seemingly in charge of policy.

Its way beyond my capacity to even attempt to comprehend what is going on. The last scheme saw some very valuable cars (which would have hardly added to any sort of pollution figures do to usage) and a lot of perfectly usable cars sent for scrap and so called recycling. How is that more environmentally friendly to dispose and process all those fluids and materials that would have been less polluting by being left in the car.

And what about all those cars that were purchased under the scheme? They are now pretty much worthless, ironically some will be worth less than the amount they were given for their old car?

How on earth is this supposed to reduce pollution from emissions from driving, battery manufacture, fuel production? Oil is used for the production of just about every material in your house, scrapping a few old cars is not going to help in any way.

Dunno but I have a question for you.

Want to resolder the connector board on the cyrus 1. anything to be careful of on dissassembly? Knobs?

Presumably will need to whip it out and flip it over?

Well it is the off topic section.

reuse is better than recycle but don't tell jo public 'cos we need him to keep consuming...

legrandefromage":3ponvntv said:
.....How is that more environmentally friendly to dispose and process all those fluids and materials that would have been less polluting by being left in the car.

if the car runs another 50 years theres still the same fluids and materials to get rid of at some point. just a matter of time.

As an old oil burner myself, shed-o-nomics is my friend, I'm not sure this would be a good way to go, just saying.

Re:

Want to resolder the connector board on the cyrus 1. anything to be careful of on dissassembly? Knobs?

Make sure you leave it powered off and unplugged for a good while before you open it up, you can get quite a belt off any large power supply capacitors for some time after you first switch it off.

Re: Re:

xerxes":2vw67j9l said:
Make sure you leave it powered off and unplugged for a good while before you open it up, you can get quite a belt off any large power supply capacitors for some time after you first switch it off.
Should have a piece of tape across any electrical device with this written on it.

Smoldering fingertips. And sticky up hair.

And a stubbed toe.

Re:

The EHT devices I used to have to deal with when servicing / repairing computers with CRT monitors back in the 80's could be quite 'alarming'.

On the original subject; just ordered my new diesel company car. As until the Govt's benefit in kind tax steers us back to petrol cars, as they steered us towards diesels 20 years ago, then it is cheaper for me to run a diesel.

I don't have a vehicle newer than ten years old. Possibly never will. They do seem keen to get the oldies off the road, what with increasing demands for MOT passes and such.

One idea I am keen on is re-imagining vehicles with hybrid technology, such as Neil Young's Lincvolt. I wonder how I could convert my old Range Rover?
LV_stranded-in-Truckee-Cal_LV.jpg

http://www.lincvolt.com/

Re:

I used to convert i/c model helicopters to electric. Now electric flight is mainstream.

Back