Cycling: Big In Japan

RadNomad

Senior Retro Guru
Been in Tokyo for a week. Here a few impressions:

Bicycles are everywhere! Cars are discouraged, parking fees are exhorbitant, road discipline is good, bike theft hardly happens... cycling is huge here.

Attachments

• IMG_8263.JPG
    IMG_8263.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 1,137
Re:

An old roadie turned city hack. No front derailleur so stuck on the small chainring. Cut and inverted MTB riser bar.

Attachments

• IMG_8265.JPG
    IMG_8265.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 1,132
  • IMG_8264.JPG
    IMG_8264.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 1,132
Re:

Track inspired steel single speed. Note old Spinergy front wheel and snowflake rear spokes. A pretty cool city bike.

Attachments

• IMG_8282.JPG
    IMG_8282.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 1,130
Re: Re:

RadNomad":xemwrhsr said:
An old roadie turned city hack. No front derailleur so stuck on the small chainring. Cut and inverted MTB riser bar.

Probably belongs to a keirin racer, his commute bike!

What a breath of fresh air! Or is it? Isn't a smog zone, or is that China I'm thinking of? :oops: :facepalm:

Re:

Araya Muddy Fox with cantis and thumbies. Note rear u-brake under the chainstays.

Attachments

• IMG_8283.JPG
    IMG_8283.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 1,127
Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":3ox27c1d said:
RadNomad":3ox27c1d said:

Probably belongs to a keirin racer, his commute bike!

What a breath of fresh air! Or is it? Isn't a smog zone, or is that China I'm thinking of? :oops: :facepalm:

Tokyo has quite good air quality due to less traffic, most people use the amazing efficient subway system which leads to lower air pollution. So cycling is no problem, or so it seemed to me. Certainly plenty of cyclists around.

In Jakarta, Beijing or Bangkok the pollution will kill you, in New Delhi every other road user will kill you (if the pollution doesn't). Kuala Lumpur is OK on weekends. Tokyo easily the cleanest of the lot.

Re:

Sounds great then, unless you're into human rights.

And being a human, why wouldn't you be?

I like the track bike though :xmas-cool:

Re:

Singlespeed frames are much more popular here than anywhere else i've seen. Most cheapo bikes are left unlocked, while cooler bikes are often locked but many owners leave lights and computers attached without fear of theft. Cyclists don't seem to suffer much petty crime. My friends who live there confirmed as much.

Attachments

• IMG_8286.JPG
    IMG_8286.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 1,113
Back