Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:05 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:54 pm 
Retro Guru

what happened to freedom of choice,sure it makes sense to wear a helmet but if you choose not to, so be it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:19 pm 
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC

Freedom of choice, yes, but would the family of a dead biker who wasn't wearing a helmet that may have saved his/her life welcome that freedom?

IMHO it should be a legal requirement to wear a helmet whilst cycling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:23 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

To be honest funerals are pretty expensive, I would be a little pissed if someone died on my watch due to no helmet, without life insurance to cover the funeral.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:29 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Andy B wrote:
IMHO it should be a legal requirement to wear a helmet whilst cycling.

You know what... I totally agree...freedom of choice my arse.

Edit..comma missing...choice, my arse :lol:

Last edited by Harryburgundy on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:29 pm 
Retro Guru

Why not just ban cycling,it is after all a very dangerous pastime :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:38 am 
Devout Dirtbag

I agree that every cyclist should wear a lid. After having a big accident last Jan last year being hit by a 40FT lorry and landing with my head hitting the kerb stone, The only thing that saved my life was my helmet, a life for £28 good deal if you ask me.
It persueded my mother after 40 years of riding to but a helmet and my sister in law as well as her family to all wear helmets if they go for ride.
All bikes must be sold with one by law and police should be given powers to seize bikes if the riders are not wearing helmets.
Just my opinion.
Mick D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:38 am 
Lincs AEC
Lincs AEC

I crashed in a big way back in 94, and I swear my lid saved my life :shock: Big double's wipeout, helmet split open but my head was in one piece (unlike my collor bone and shoulder :lol: )

So, now I always wear a lid, no matter what I'm doing on my bike, even if its just nipping to the shops.

I preach to my kids to wear theirs, so I need to lead my example. Mathew and Jade no put theirs on even if their just messing in the garden 8)

Mrs GT has said she wont ride her new bike until we get her a lid :wink: Her and the kids heckle cyclists without lids on, especially parents riding with their kids when the kids wear lids but the parents dont....why is that!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:52 am 
Retro Guru

In my experience mandatory helmet laws don't really work. You can force somebody to wear a helmet but you can't make them care.

Helmet use is mandatory here. Every day I see many, many people riding along with helmets that aren't done up, or are too small, too big, pushed way back so the front of the helmet sits on top of the head way back from the forehead etc.

I would rather see great training in road rules for cyclists than mandatory helmet laws, but I guess that costs money and is hard to implement, whereas wasting police time getting them to stop unlidded cyclists is easy.

Oh yeah, and I would also rather see laws on roadworthiness of bikes leaving shops (eg brakes must work) before helmet laws. I've never found a cheapo bike where the brakes can actually stop the bike in a hurry. (Actually this led to a comedy moment the other day when a kid we know who has a huffy bmx cheekily rode off on Mrs Geoff's Hayes9 equipped Caldera. When he tried to stop Huffy style he nearly went straight OTB :twisted:)

I've said it before and I'll say it again- I'd rather everybody was afforded every chance to avoid an accident than just slapping a helmet on them and hoping that will protect them when they do have an accident cos they've had no training and have no brakes.

...and yes, when in England, there are times (pootle around the lanes, a ride to the village etc) when I choose not to wear a helmet. I don't expect a lecture on my choice. It's my perception of risk and my head. :? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:01 am 
MacModerator
MacModerator

Geoff wrote:
In my experience mandatory helmet laws don't really work. You can force somebody to wear a helmet but you can't make them care.

Helmet use is mandatory here. Every day I see many, many people riding along with helmets that aren't done up, or are too small, too big, pushed way back so the front of the helmet sits on top of the head way back from the forehead etc.

I would rather see great training in road rules for cyclists than mandatory helmet laws, but I guess that costs money and is hard to implement, whereas wasting police time getting them to stop unlidded cyclists is easy.

Oh yeah, and I would also rather see laws on roadworthiness of bikes leaving shops (eg brakes must work) before helmet laws. I've never found a cheapo bike where the brakes can actually stop the bike in a hurry. (Actually this led to a comedy moment the other day when a kid we know who has a huffy bmx cheekily rode off on Mrs Geoff's Hayes9 equipped Caldera. When he tried to stop Huffy style he nearly went straight OTB :twisted:)

I've said it before and I'll say it again- I'd rather everybody was afforded every chance to avoid an accident than just slapping a helmet on them and hoping that will protect them when they do have an accident cos they've had no training and have no brakes.

...and yes, when in England, there are times (pootle around the lanes, a ride to the village etc) when I choose not to wear a helmet. I don't expect a lecture on my choice. It's my perception of risk and my head. :? :wink:

Seconded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:05 am 
MacModerator
MacModerator

I should add that IME new school or modern bikers seem more inclined to wear a lid and its normally old roadies I find that haven't got one. Which is still their choice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next