New School/modern bikers

monsterfatuk

Senior Retro Guru
Out riding today and i know it was hot but 75% of riders wasn`t wearing a helmet,its the same when it`s cold so it`s not the heat.I`ve been unconsious twice with it on so i know the score but i dont think modern bike shops are putting across the importance of wearing a lid.
While i`m ranting was getting a pissed of explaining what a discdrive was,surely some bikers have been riding a while and would know :shock: ,,and they `re all on full sus riding slowly
I`ll go now :LOL:

Just plain daft not to wear a lid....couldn't believe the other morning on the news that a so-called expert was effectively arguing against wearing helmets.

My little rant today is Sunday bleeding riders. On the road today, and past quite a few slower riders. Came to some red traffic lights and stopped. When the other riders caught up and stopped, they stopped in front of me.
Whats the point of that?
I'm only going to have to overtake them again by going further into the busy road than I would really like....bleeding fools. :LOL:

There are, unfortunately, many people who still argue about the benefits of wearing a helmet. Personally I wear one whenever I ride a bike.

Just out of interest, how many people actually know that the standard bike helmet doesn't offer protection from impacts at speeds over 20mph? Anyone?

Harryburgundy":14hzufjl said:
Just plain daft not to wear a lid....couldn't believe the other morning on the news that a so-called expert was effectively arguing against wearing helmets.

My little rant today is Sunday bleeding riders. On the road today, and past quite a few slower riders. Came to some red traffic lights and stopped. When the other riders caught up and stopped, they stopped in front of me.
Whats the point of that?
I'm only going to have to overtake them again by going further into the busy road than I would really like....bleeding fools. :LOL:

Oh man, that's what bike lanes here are like seven days a week. Doesn't matter if I'm on my road bike and I just blew by some people at 48km/h, they just have to ram their stupid rusty 30lbs single speed granny bike in front of me at the lights. DO YOU SERIOUSLY BELIEVE I'D BE IN YOUR WAY? ARE YOU LUTZ HESSLICH!?

And yeah going offroad without a helmet is just insane. All the low thorny tree branches around here alone would be enough for me to wear one, let alone the whole not dying aspect.

Xesh":ux6zilty said:
There are, unfortunately, many people who still argue about the benefits of wearing a helmet. Personally I wear one whenever I ride a bike.

Just out of interest, how many people actually know that the standard bike helmet doesn't offer protection from impacts at speeds over 20mph? Anyone?

:shock: I must have been doing 20+/- on my recent trip to Gravel Rash City...golf ball sized lump of helmet broke off (by RHS temple) and a nice crack going to the crown.
I'm sure there are plenty others with similar tales.

I think it's more like, if you hit an immobile object, head on, at 20mph? I'd still prefer to do it with the helmet than without, personally.

Frank West":2pbg87cp said:
I think it's more like, if you hit an immobile object, head on, at 20mph? I'd still prefer to do it with the helmet than without, personally.

my thoughts exactly

Truth is, in certain types of crash, angle and impact dependent and speed dependent, a cycling helmet can cause more damage than good, only certain types of low speed impacts are rewarded with a helmet.

That said I also recommend wearing one 'that fits properly'.
I have broke a Specialized King Cobra by going over the bars and hitting my head off of rock, which left me with two weeks of concussion and a bruised head from right eye to behind right ear.

Steve

Harryburgundy":1mvytywt said:
On the road today, and past quite a few slower riders. Came to some red traffic lights and stopped. When the other riders caught up and stopped, they stopped in front of me.

This is everyday in Copenhagen, every rush hour.....

The more widespread cycling becomes, the more this phenomenon will piss you off.

I have always worn a helmet. In 2003 had a massive crash, smacked my head off a tree stump, was knocked out cold. after a few seconds came back round; couldn't see straight out my right eye. After a few moments gathering my thoughts, and my whereabouts (fortunately I was in a group so they were able to look after me), I got up, checked my helmet and it was split from back right across to front left. Well needless to say i cycled very slowly to the train station near by and got the train back home......will not ride without one.

i cringe when i see people riding in london morning traffic, with helmets hanging on their handlebars! what is that all about? do they not want to mess up their hair?

Latest posts

Back