Camping mat recommendations

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Thinking forward to Mayhem next year should my neolithic body make it, I want some extra padding under my sleeping bag. For the last two years, I have hardly had a wink, let alone 40. In the first instance owing partly to some noisy sod. The second, having pitched further away from said sod, owing to bumpy ground and not much padding from me. I was using a thin mat on both occasions

I am using a one man tent, despite the ribbing I get for it, so I guess something foam that I can cut to size. THICK!

Or should I just hire a van and buy a lilo instead! :LOL: :LOL:

Any help would be gratefully received

Ta

Mike

Re:

Don't think Anne would appreciate my 26t lorry turning up, or I would take that! :LOL: :LOL:

Re:

No, I don't, maybe I'll get some blankets to put under the sleeping bag!

I gave up on tents years back, and went to bivouac hammocks. Basically a sleeping bag that's a hammock, with a flysheet thrown over the top of a line running between the two suspension points. If that makes any sense. Like this:

https://cdn.rideapart.com/wp-content/up ... ammock.jpg

Apart from being lighter than tent + sleeping bag + mat, which is handy when you're backpacking, you're not sleeping on the ground, so no problem with discomfort, and no problem with cold (you mainly get cold because you're crushing the insulation in your sleeping bag, thus killing the insulating layer between you and the cold ground).

Downside is that you need suspension points - a couple of trees wherever you decide to stop in my case, or, if you're travelling by car, a couple of little A-frames and some heavy pegs would do the trick.

These days, though, she who must be obeyed has tended to mean that we rent a static caravan :)

buy yourself a skookum hiker's/climber's inflatable Thermarest matt, and you'll be set for any terrain and conditions!

Re:

If you're going by car and don't have to carry it, get a single airbed - one from a camping shop for about a tenner, not a shiney plastic one from a beach hut. Have it half inflated, not rock-solid - it shouldn't ping like a drum when you flick it. You will sleep like a baby

Back