Adruzzz

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
:LOL: :LOL:

Cxj6EyjXUAAzySU.jpg

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... renovation

Re:

Technically aren't they paying for it indirectly?

I thought the treasury got all of the rents of their considerable land owning and the Queen takes a salary in return? The repairs are being paid for by an increase in that salary...

Understand it's a different argument as too whether the repair money should come from their post office savings book though...

Re: Re:

CTK":2nwrmptt said:
Sell the bloody place!

Good idea, bound to be a Russian somewhere with enough laundered money and ego to want to outdo the others.

Putin Palace! :LOL:

ringo":3ld41hcm said:

I thought the treasury got all of the rents of their considerable land owning and the Queen takes a salary in return? The repairs are being paid for by an increase in that salary...

Understand it's a different argument as too whether the repair money should come from their post office savings book though...

You're quite right but if it helps stir up the anti monarchists then it makes some newspapers headlines.

In 1760 George the 3rd effectively leased the royal buildings and land to the nation. What this has meant is that 85% of all monies from Royal lands from that time until now, has gone to the government for the benefit of the people.

The Royals kept the other 15% to fund themselves, this was called the civil list but is now known as the sovereign grant.

They have always been self funding and since 1760 put 85% INTO the public purse. But why let facts get in the way of a good hate the rich story :facepalm:

KDM":iycfyz4u said:
ringo":iycfyz4u said:

You're quite right but if it helps stir up the anti monarchists then it makes some newspapers headlines.

In 1760 George the 3rd effectively leased the royal buildings and land to the nation. What this has meant is that 85% of all monies from Royal lands from that time until now, has gone to the government for the benefit of the people.

The Royals kept the other 15% to fund themselves, this was called the civil list but is now known as the sovereign grant.

They have always been self funding and since 1760 put 85% INTO the public purse. But why let facts get in the way of a good hate the rich story :facepalm:

+1

FluffyChicken":34g8j7f9 said:
I'd wish they would stop spending money on building social housing and repairing it too.

If it's on the HS2 route it will be flattened soon!

Pity Buck Palace doesn't stand in it's way!

KDM":3m09lxkh said:

Nicely put.

Plus of course the entire cost of the repairs will be fed back into the economy, as all of that money will be spent on material, labour and profit for the companies doing the work, and being a Royal Palace, you can be sure the companies and tradesmen will be background and security checked to the Nth degree.

Last, let's not forget that the £400m is to be spent over the next ten years, so in the bigger scheme of things the £40 million per years spent on the refurb will hardly register compared to the £200 Billion annual welfare budget and the £130 Billion annual NHS budget.

I used to be quite pro monarchy, but the behaviour of the queen these last few years has seen all my goodwill drain away, to the point that I'm now leaning towards abolishing the monarchy and confiscating most of their property.

What changed my mind? The way the queen has failed to use her reserve powers in the face of an extreme right and now a fascist government. I was counting on her to do the right thing for her subjects and block Brexit, at the very least. If HRH had any self respect left, she would order the army onto the streets to overthrow the current government, and rule directly in the interests of the people until a centrist unity government can be formed. The woman's a bloody disgrace.

Back