Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:43 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:16 am 
Old School Hero

Fettling (and occasionally riding!) MTB's has only recently hooked me in other than when I was a nipper I had a BMX and then a crappy Emmelle which got me round my mates and to the boys club.

My other main hobbies have been/are fishing, which I've been doing ever since I could hold a rod thanks to may dad/grandad and latterly photography. Fishing (general coarse/carp/fly) has been pretty constant bar a few years and photography has been a bit more recent, especially since I spent '06-'07 living in NY and wanted to capture it as best I could.

What are other peoples other hobbies that they can get a little obsessive about? There must be a few stamp collectors and trainspotters out there!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:03 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Multiplayer PC Gaming, been at it since 1996 ish competeing in leagues and ladders and doing quite well with it and out of it over the years. Ive funded a number of toys (including 2 bikes) from various wins I have had.

I enjoy the social side of it (yes it has one :P ) and the teamwork/tactics involved in it.

I have had the honour of representing the UK in a number of EU/international leagues for a number of games. (didnt do that well but hey)

Im not competitive these days and dont play alot of anything, but if something takes my interest I can see my self going full speed into it again, im still a little heartbroken that a number of people that I have trained have gone on to earn a professional wage in gaming, while I sat back and missed the boat :(

Geeky= Yes
Worth it= for me yes, Ive met a hell of a lot of amazing people through it, and had some amazing times :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:09 pm 
Lincs AEC
Lincs AEC

Banger racing has been my only other hobby.

My mates and I used to build (well, strip out as it really is!) and race bangers for about 3 years or so before I moved from Norfolk to Lincoln.

I used to race at Kings Lynn and Swaffham. Bloody good fun, although could sometimes be a little painful :wink:

My username on Ebay is my old racing nickname; HeadOnJon :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:49 pm 
Old School Grand Master

R/C Cars.
Jeeps.
VWs (In the past. Bugs, T2s, T3's and full on racing sandrails. Considering buying another early to mid sixties bug.)
Mountain walking.
Climbing. (Not so much now!)
Mountaineering (In a past life)

Thinking about building a wooden Canadian canoe.

I don't like to be bored! :shock: I don't do bored very well. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:49 pm 
Retro Guru

Sometimes i like to try cycling! :D

IGMC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:08 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

JeRkY wrote:
a number of people that I have trained have gone on to earn a professional wage in gaming, while I sat back and missed the boat :(

Sounds cool, especially representing your country but I have to ask - do you mean these people earn a living by playing games? Or by developing/testing games ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:11 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Have been know to do a bit of astronomy, not that I am boasting but I do have a 8 inch dobsonian.... phnarr phnarr :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:14 pm 
Retro Guru

Motorcycle trials riding
4x4 off-roading (Landys and G-Wagens)
Photography
Electric Bass playing (although not really just a hobby, as in the past I have at times earned a living from it).
Sled dog racing

Apart from the sled dogs, these are all interests that I've had since my teens (in other words, forty bloody years :oops: )

At the moment I don't have a trials bike and the sled dogs have long ago gone to the "Great Iditarod in the Sky" (or wherever good sled dogs go :?: )

However, I still do a bit of photography and I'm still as nerdy about my bass gear as I ever was :roll: ....(if anyone's interested - in my rack I have a Trace GP12SMX pre-amp and Mackie M1000 power amp, driving 4x10" and 1x15" custom built cabs loaded with EV drivers. I play Musicman Stingray 5 string (fretted) and Sterling 4 string (fretless) basses and also a much modded Peavey Pallaedium bass with EMG pickups and pre-amp).

Nerdy you see........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:37 pm 

stevet1 wrote:
JeRkY wrote:
a number of people that I have trained have gone on to earn a professional wage in gaming, while I sat back and missed the boat :(

Sounds cool, especially representing your country but I have to ask - do you mean these people earn a living by playing games? Or by developing/testing games ?

The people I had in mind make a wage playing games competitively for various pro-gaming teams, im sure its not a massive figure, but to be able to live off of a hobby sounds great to me. Ive a few other friends who earn a decent living doing shoutcasting & coverage (think sports commentators) for big events.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:46 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

JeRkY wrote:
The people I had in mind make a wage playing games competitively for various pro-gaming teams, im sure its not a massive figure, but to be able to live off of a hobby sounds great to me.

I agree, although Pro-gaming teams pah, I reckon I could take 'em on Doom.

I have no other real hobbies apart from I spend a lot of time digging and maintaining a set of dirt jumps, which is almost a pastime in itself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next