Speed check rant

stevet1

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I know I'm going to get no sympathy but let me give you the scenario. A 30mph dual carriageway road goes down a hill, would a slight bend then the right hand lane merges with a busy 40mph road. If you're not doing 40mph by the time you hit the merge then you're going to cause other cars to slam on. Everyone coasts down the hill picking up a bit of (free) speed. Today the police were just round the corner picking everyone off with a speed gun. To keep to the letter of the law you would have to drag your brakes all the way down the hill, wait until the limit changes then accelerate like mad and hope you don't get rear ended by the cars on the 40mph road.

I was probably doing about 35 when I rounded the corner, have to wait and see whether they issue a ticket. Even more maddening because I've been uber conscientious about sticking to the speed limit recently but this just takes the piss.

I think you will be ok!

They aren't interested in people who are doing 35, 45 and you may be recieving a letter.

The deterant is the speed gun not the fines! Sometimes its just not safe to do the speed limit in traffic and its so easy to be caught out.

Good luck,think it will be all good though. Ya speed freek! ;)

Al.

have a word with the council, they may do something about the limit.

I had a word with our council about the lack of lane markings on a roundabout which meant I kept on getting cut up by motorists - they painted them on in the end :D

al":2o9lgvjh said:
I think you will be ok!

They aren't interested in people who are doing 35, 45 and you may be recieving a letter.

The deterant is the speed gun not the fines! Sometimes its just not safe to do the speed limit in traffic and its so easy to be caught out.

Good luck,think it will be all good though. Ya speed freek! ;)

Al.

Not necessarily, the 2 times I have been caught speeding(back in my youth mind) it was a nadgers over the limit. Is there such things as quotas?

Hell i better slow down then!

I would feel hard done by if i was 5 mph over the limit.

Still spose speeding is speeding! When i was a yoof there were no speed cameras,hell don't think there were any cameras!
:shock:
Al.

al":28jk7t8m said:
When i was a yoof there were no speed cameras,hell don't think there were any cameras!
:shock:
Al.

Speed sketching? :LOL:

its 2.5 miles an hour plus 5percent before its considered speeding.....according to one of the highways guys and coppers that i sometimes work with doing road safety with schoolkids...you should be ok.

I'll wait and see but can't help thinking its just a revenue generation exercise. Especially as they were doing this during rush hour when there are lots of cars doing just over the speed limit but its too busy to do seriously over, instead of at 8pm at night when its relatively empty and cars can fly down.

orange71":2hyp7wyl said:
have a word with the council, they may do something about the limit.

I had a word with our council about the lack of lane markings on a roundabout which meant I kept on getting cut up by motorists - they painted them on in the end :D
I'm a non driver ,bike only or walk[OK big distances are by bus/train]

All i can see these councils doing ,is raising funds ,nothing more
tell them and they may increase the fines or make sure their quislings[the police] are always there,they're looking for any way of raising cash ,for gods sake don't point out spots they can target
once upon a time the council would have replied-OK we'll look into addressing that matter
NOW they think-if we put a camera there ,we can raise funds
this country's seems to be poorer than some Eastern European Countries
Think i'll write a book-United Kingdom/ The death throes of a superpower

gibbleking":3vb52f2t said:
its 2.5 miles an hour plus 5percent before its considered speeding.....according to one of the highways guys and coppers that i sometimes work with doing road safety with schoolkids...you should be ok.

I thought this was the case till i got done doing 33 in a 30 by a mobile camera

Back