3D printing?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Anyone have any idea? Can anyone do it? Just having some daft ideas for bike part modifications and it might be the best way to get them done...

Re:

We have been into this and found there were many options online, at very good prices. My wife's current activities include a lot of one off items, and this is the perfect application of the technology.

I am looking forward to getting hold of a printer for myself; but that is more a case of 'because I want one', rather than any pressing need.

What sort of items are you working on? Or are they hush hush?

Not hush hush at all... And not titanium either :LOL:

I pulled an old 7 speed gripshift apart the other day to see about converting it to 10 speed. But I can't see any way to do it without either making a whole new "base" section, or at least cutting out the part with the notches and fitting a new one.

I haven't dropped money on a printer yet either, but have used a few of the online agencies.

Combined with some of the free or very cheap 3D CAD around these days (Onshape and Fusion360 etc) should be hugely more accessible than in the past.
Metal printers (laser or electron beam sintering) are prohibitively expensive, needing v high temperatures and inert gas chambers. Think £2500+VAT for a 20cm cube of printed Ti parts.
There are decently priced carbon printers, (MarkForged) but filament alignment is only horizontal/parallel, so physical properties are around the same as extruded aluminium.
The thermoplastic printers (hot from a spool) can produce good results, but they do have a definite grain. Good for checking fit and design before actually producing a product using a more conventional method.

It'll need to get a whole lot faster and cheaper to threaten traditional am 'subtractive manufacturing' or casting and injection moulding.

All the best,

Send me a PM. I am an engineer and design a lot of printed parts. We also have various CNC machines for metals and plastics. I am friendly with the machine operators so can probably sneak them through if you are not in a rush for them (probably February to be honest). Even if you just need someone to draw up the files for you, then you can get them printed elsewhere (shapeways for example).

Interestingly I started using prints for prototyping, but the filament machines are so good we use them for batch-produced and one-off parts, included loaded components. Just today I printed off a batch of sliding piston valves for a water pump.

Back