I want a vintage moped...how do they work....??

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Seems like a really daft question, but as I've had a couple of ciders now....

Years ago I learned to ride a motorbike but decided I wasn't willing to go on the road on one, but I've always fancied a proper old moped. But what's involved in actually riding one, as in, how do they operate? Are they automatic, or do you have to manually change gear, if so, how does that work?

Go! :LOL:

Re:

Ha ha! It's just I thought I read somewhere, something about 4 gears and a clutch lever, and a foot pedal? Old Vespas?

Should just really google it but that's not as much fun! :LOL:

some had 6 gears, or even 7 with a malaguti iirc
Puch maxi was twist n go, would do 30mph,
Fantic and yamaha fs1e, honda ss50 would do 50mph
with a puch maxi you had to pedal to get the motor running,I think that the fantic had a kickstart, and the pedals were only for emergencies

Re:

When I lived on the farm we had a Honda C90 (?) we converted to off road tyres and used for getting the cows in....

Then we used to take in to the top of the track, dump it in the hedge, and go to the pub and then roll it back down the hill again while...slightly inebriated. Until my mate let it fall on his foot, fell asleep in the ditch, and woke the next morning and had to go to hospital with a broken bone!

It was Christmas an all :LOL: :LOL:

Older style vespas have four gears and a clutch in the left grip. Front brake is on the right and rear is on a pedal on the floor plate. Think gripshift and rear brake - takes a bit of getting used to but if you can do either you will be fine!

The new shape ones are twist and go I think.

Re: Re:

LikeClockwork":1alq8mzr said:
When I lived on the farm we had a Honda C90 (?) we converted to off road tyres and used for getting the cows in....

Then we used to take in to the top of the track, dump it in the hedge, and go to the pub and then roll it back down the hill again while...slightly inebriated. Until my mate let it fall on his foot, fell asleep in the ditch, and woke the next morning and had to go to hospital with a broken bone!

It was Christmas an all :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL:

Back