Show us your home made work benches...!

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Evenin' all!
I've been clearing out the garage today and found myself a large spare bit of kitchen work top (laminate chipboard type).
So I've been thinking how to put it to good use and thought, why not build myself my own custom work bench with it.
I'm inspired by a large reserve of pallet wood we have at work, some very decent wood pallets I might add, so with this in mind I'm looking to design my own and put it all together at home.
I'm thinking mobile, so some heavy duty casters on the bottom, so if i wish, I can roll it out on to the driveway for any dusty/fumey work.
Also, some quick release anchors for securing it to the wall when installed in the garage.
Anyone done this before?
The kitchen work surface I have is 1500mmx900mmx40mm,
This will need cutting down, but not sure by how much.

What you people got out there? What have you made and are there any genius tweaks and smart features you can share to inspire me more?
I at least want a vice bolted to it, with storage(secure / secret) and maybe a power input for built in light units / power sockets so I just plug the work bench in and have sockets at work bench level still useable.

Re:

Funny enough, I've been sorting mine out today. Based on a pine kitchen table my parents had in the eighties, I needed to drill some holes in it for my new vice. Also sorted out the legs, lifting it a bit higher.
Decided to refinish the top, as it's outside all year. The vice won't be I hasten to add. Now ready for a coat of yacht varnish.
I just use the kitchen power point with an extension lead, or if in the garage I use one of the several power points there. It has lighting too.

Mike

Re:

After a year or so I've just got power up to the workshop :) few double power points and a strip light at each end, 50mm insulation all round including the roof ;) and very cosy it is to!! Have a work bench down one side and one end that I made out if the old staging that was in the green house that used to stand where the workshop us now, just beefed up the legs a bit and screwed 15mm ply on the top, two vices, a smaller workshop type and a machine vice. Oh and a growing collection of bikes and all the trimmings that go with that ;)
Mick

Re:

Following operation man cave ( spring Project 3, the only one that really progressed) I decided to build one.

Headed to the local timber merchant who cut me some 4x4 for legs and 2x4 for supporting frame. Made to measure to fit some marine ply I had lying around for the top, and cut some osb offcuts from the garage roof for a low shelf and back board. Whacking big bolts and hefty screws it's tough as old boots.

I'll see if I can get some snaps up.

Next project is power, I am wiring up the space and powering it from an extension cable at present, hope to do some excavating and hard wiring next summer.

Re:

Not the clearest picture, 4 x 4 douglas fir for the frame and 2" ash top. The drawers are full of parts. Have a matching smaller bench and a matching home made parts washer.

Attachments

• workbench.jpg
    workbench.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 668
Re: Re:

schwartzy16":10omx0x3 said:
Not the clearest picture, 4 x 4 douglas fir for the frame and 2" ash top. The drawers are full of parts. Have a matching smaller bench and a matching home made parts washer.
RickTheUncivil":10omx0x3 said:
Following operation man cave ( spring Project 3, the only one that really progressed) I decided to build one.

Headed to the local timber merchant who cut me some 4x4 for legs and 2x4 for supporting frame. Made to measure to fit some marine ply I had lying around for the top, and cut some osb offcuts from the garage roof for a low shelf and back board. Whacking big bolts and hefty screws it's tough as old boots.

I'll see if I can get some snaps up.

Next project is power, I am wiring up the space and powering it from an extension cable at present, hope to do some excavating and hard wiring next summer.

Sounds great, looking forward to photos ;)

Mike

Nice! Are you left handed? Looking at position of the vice.

Re: Re:

schwartzy16":puw3cu11 said:

:shock: Bench of the month winner right there..... wont be entering my 2x2 bitsa claimed wood and sides of wardrobe entry now.... :LOL:

RBG

Back