hung kinda dodgy....

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
this is about a mirror.
I hung a pretty heavy mirror yesterday (probably around the 15-20KG mark).

upon drilling the holes, i realised [to my frustration] i hadnt paid enough attention to the direction of the drill.

basically, the screws point downward slightly - which is the opposite of what i intended.
Ideally i would have the screws pointing up a bit or at least straight/level (i think i was standing too high above the point i was drilling which skewed my perspective of how straight i was drilling/i over or under compensated...)
anyway, i carried on, inserted the wall plugs which went in fine (not too loose, and ive drilled far enough back to be able to screw in (very tightly) 5mm x 65mm screws.
its straight into chimney breast brickwork and i gave the screws a good tug once id screwed them in enough and they were not budging at all.

im basically annoyed at the way they point down slightly, but, the mirror mounted fine - the D shaped bracket hooks sit well on the screw heads and its nice and level (spot on actually) but the fact i've not installed the screws the way i wanted is actually giving me doubts about it/paranoid about it pulling away from the wall and crushing my kids....

i wanted to re drill holes about 1 -1/2 inches further up and angle them downward, but then i started thinking 'but there are holes directly below where i want to drill, is that going to weaken the load carrying strength now??'

im probably being silly, but when i something doesnt go as planned in the real world as it was in my head then im just not happy about it!

i used brown wall plugs like this:
brownplug.jpg

with screws like this:
5mm x 65mm double threaded multipurpose screw zinc plated

T3274_511019_00

i was thinking of getting slightly larger screws (6mm) as the 5mm seems a little skinny in the neck where the mirror rests....

anyways, am i being paranoid? shhould i reposition the mirror above the existing holes? (cant go lower as its above a fire place/mantle piece).

thinking about it, the fixings felt secure enough to hang myself off of, and the brickwork is sound (was consistently solid when drilling through it like brickwork is).
so i don't have any reason to doubt anything else, except for the way the screws point slightly downward....

Re:

If your worry is that the slight down angle of the screw is a risk of the string sliding off then why not simply take the screw out and use a washer to increase the head size of the screw as safeguard, then put the screw back in?

Re: Re:

66 triumph daytona":271kirld said:
Kinda disappointed with this thread,I was expecting something more painful/entertaining :D .

it may well be if the mirror falls off the wall - perhaps less entertaining though. but definitely more painful....

i did come round eventually in thinking that its a static fixture, and no vibrations from bouncing children on the floor will affect it (yes, you read that right. i bounce my kids on the floor regularly).

plus the point above about the forces acting perpendicular to the position of the fixture.

never hung something this heavy before. if its still up when i'm home ill be happy. but will be keeping an eye on it for sure...

You can tell if you are drilling brick by the feel and should be getting red dust, sounds like you were.

If it concerns you, fit rawl bolts, M6 should be fine, , these have a steel sleeve with a split cone inside that tightens up when the bolt is done up (same principle as steerer expander).

20 kg is not that much but a £1 per bolt, what price is piece of mind?

Honestly, sounds like it'll be 100% fine for at least 100 years.

If you increase the size of the screw it could actually bugger the wall plug, and be less strong.

Wouldn't worry me at all.

Job done as as it should be.

If it really, really, really bothers you then use no nail stuff on the frame and stick it to the wall as well ;-)
(no honestly don't bother...)

Shelves would be fine with that fixing and they lever the damn screws out, you'd have been fine with shorter screws as well.

Back