more cyclist v driver bonkersnessness

Re:

So the driver expects the cyclist to break the law and cycle on the path and then himself drives on the path?Where did he get his license?A lucky bag?The mind boggles....

Re: Re:

66 triumph daytona":1ltdjfkn said:
So the driver expects the cyclist to break the law and cycle on the path and then himself drives on the path?Where did he get his license?A lucky bag?The mind boggles....

I know that road quite well. The path the driver is on is a lovely commuter cycle path with embedded lights and everything.

The mind is well and truly boggled by the drivers' behaviour as absolutely anyone or thing could have been coming the other way.

The Driver is a complete F**KWIT but to me it raises a question if there is a cycle path why not use it, especially if its a decent one. I know some of them are no better than mud tracks and not fit for purpose but what is the point in having them if they don't get used, its like pedestrians and zebra crossings. You maybe the best rider on the road but you only have to come up against the worst driver on the road to end up 2nd best. I was going to say that using cycle paths is safer but in light of this footage maybe not ...

Re:

I had a conversation about this with a friend the other day.

Not far from me is a mile long dual carriageway that is part of a return route home for me. Parallel to it is a shared path, that once was super smooth.

My buddy couldn't understand why I don't use the path to avoid the traffic, which is logical enough. I tried to explain but he was not getting it until I said " If you were walking down that path, and I came past from behind, on the cyclists side, a foot or less from your shoulder doing 25 to 30 MPH, how would you feel about that?" He said it would be dangerous, I agreed and said "and that is why I use the road."

I'm afraid my buddy is a very reasonable and sensible guy, not a cycle hater and yet the idea of cyclists and pedestrians and kids and dogs converging at speed had never occurred to him. Why would it?

The knob in that clip is just typical of thousands of drivers who feel that have the right to make a point and show us, the idiots, what we are doing wrong, that's what all the close passes and brake tests, both in bikes and in cars are all about. The latest one on the motorway being undertaking at about 80 MPH in an effort to show people overtaking slow lorries that they are doing it all wrong. It always ends up with lots of brake lights and swearing.

It is a dangerous sense of entitlement and the fact that the M5 in the South West was closed four times last week / weekend just shows how dangerous it is.

It made the news with the usual responses of 'why weren't they using the cycle path??' The news made sure that the Highway Code was quoted in big letters for the hard of mouth breathing

Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory

So why do councils build them ? they can't really be value for money. People may say if it save's a life but if a rider is killed on that stretch adjacent to the cycle path where does that leave the equation. Neil I do understand what you're saying and its a valid point

I don't know its a minefield isn't it

Latest posts

Back