Alive only because of the kindness of strangers

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Cant bloody sleep. Mind zonked from the weekends events.

But first it has to be a big thank you to those at Wexham Park Hospital in Slough and the first responders at High Wycombe.

I'd choked in my sleep.

Thrashing around the hotel bed trying to breath, missus shouting for help, I pass out and turn black, a dead weight on the floor. Mother & daughter lifeguards in the next rooms come out and calmly take over with the father looking after the my missus while they work on me. Heart rate down to 30bpm and still not breathing for a good while - 999 has first response paramedics who just happened to be 500 yards from the hotel.

Much work later, I come round as I'm being taken down the fire escape to the ambulance, my shorts being waved in my face to see if I want them as I'm in me boxers, sweat pouring off me, the father still holding me up as I'd no strength whatsoever - he only left when he was sure I was in good hands.

Luckily, I remembered everything so in the icu I could answer all the questions and there was little damage from hypoxia and no more than a slight bang on the head. Lots of leads attached to me, good oxygen saturation and a big bag of stuff on my drip to disperse the lactose from all that effort. Lots of docs peering at me intently making sure I was all there (what little there is anyway).

I still burst into tears at the kindness shown by complete strangers, how they looked after me and kept the other half calm has just floored me. My work colleagues unfortunately had to witness the whole thing too, one having having an epiphany of his own to sort his own life out 'as its too bloody short and easily taken away'.

My missus got to thank those that helped at breakfast after making sure I was ok, she went back to the hotel to sort things out. The mother and daughter had had all the training and said thats what had taken over, apparently I burst back into colour after throwing up clearing whatever had caused it all in the first place and that had had them cheering.

So there you go, how easily things can be taken away, all the cliches and so on.

The one abiding memory is the whole time I felt a squishy sensation 'downstairs' - yes, a natural part of things is for the body to void its bowels, which I had done...

Copiously :oops:

So, hug those you love, enjoy life and all that because it really can be all over very quickly.

A lovely clear blue dawn on its way.

Catch ya later

Reactions: CTK
Re:

Although I don't know you, aside from reading your many witty posts, you would be a great loss to the community.

It is events like this, that restore one's faith in humanity, with all the other crap that's going on in the world today.

Count your blessings every day, I sure do!

Re:

Flip fella! It's not your time yet! Glad you're okay, a timely reminder that people are generally pretty amazing....enjoy the day!

Glad to know your ok, this place wouldn't be the same without you........

Re:

Great to see you came out the other side of that scare.I would urge any members who can,to do a First Responders C.P.R. course (esp parents).

Re: Re:

66 triumph daytona":2loavei6 said:
Great to see you came out the other side of that scare.I would urge any members who can,to do a First Responders C.P.R. course (esp parents).

+1

I'll look into that.

A timely reminder of the positive in people, when we are being encoraged more and more, to think the worst of them.

Glad you're on the mend, fella

Mike

Back