anyone work or worked revently for the post office

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I know that p.o. have ocr to read post codes for sorting letters but are the post codes logged?

For example, a letter post code rg14as is posted in clifton road post box in corby.

Post office empty letter box and take it to sorting office, likely to br same one, where it is tipped into a hopper.
Hopper feeds machine that reads post code and directs it to another bag and so until it arrives in reading where it gets sorted into the postmsns bag.

Knowing the post code, date and location where it was posted, can the passage of the letter be traced through the post office system?

Of course ts possible for more than one letter with same postcode to be in the same post box at the same time but not likely for a residential address.

Letter is 2nd classed, no special delivery or signed for stuff.

Re:

I don't work for the post office but I do have involvement in tracking mail through the postal system on behalf of Royal Mail. To achieve this electronic "smarts" are included in test mail items and tracked through the system. If Royal Mail were able to do what you suggest I wonder why they would pay so much to TNS to continually monitor the efficiency of the mail system.

Re:

I would thought it daft of Royal Mail not to do that, a lot of data but that's where optimisation can start.

Perhaps they need a third party to still check efficiency?

Back