The Somme

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
I still can't get my head around the numbers of good men who died in this battle, 100 years ago

Extremely humbling :cry:

Mike

Re:

Just imagine if that happened today, nearly 20,000 (approx 20% of today's British Army) gone in the first day alone, puts some things into perspective.

Things were so much different then my Mums uncle Harry was wounded 3 times, he joined up in 1914. 3 months before the war started, he was shot at the battle of Festubert, gassed at the battle of Loos, then hit by shell shrapnel at the 2nd battle of the Somme. They just kept patching him up and sending him back to the line 'just more meat for the grinder' as he told his Mum in letters. When he was finally discharged in 1919 he was so disillusioned he never married and never wanted children. So the death toll was not the only tragedy of the war.

Re:

If you ever have the chance, you should visit the cemeteries of those battles.
It's surreal, standing in a field with nothing but markers showing the thousands of lives that were prematurely ended.

Kinda makes you realize what kind of madness war really is.

It certainly is sobering to remember how we stood together.

Some villages here lost practically all their men.

I spend a lot of time on the battlefield at Culloden, where many were slaughtered before the survivors were chased and slain in the surrounding areas. War is indeed madness.

They did not die in vain though, as regardless of the futility and needlessness they left a legacy of honour and sacrifice today's youth could never attain, but might at least hope to.

Went to Merville near the Belgian border last year to visit my great grandfathers war grave. Poor old bugger, no one has been to see him since he died in 1916. Very moving and so proud of him, but couldn't help think what a waste. Rows and rows of lads, early 20's all killed on the same day. Hideous :-(

Re:

Two of my Irish grandmother's brothers, fine strapping lads well over 6ft, enlisted. They were told not to by their parents, but sneaked off to England and joined, thinking they didn't want to miss out on all the fun ! Shot to pieces in Gallipoli they were. RIP

Starting wars and keeping them going is big business and that will never change.

Re:

The most tragic thing is that wars still go on even today.

As a race, we have learnt nothing from the past.

Back