Paypal account hijacked!

Vitorzip

Senior Retro Guru
Well, basicly that was it.

Last saturday i got up, and started my computer to check my mail, as usual.

Strangely, i had a paypal receipt from 3 hours earlier, in wich i´ve payed 150 dollars to some website i don´t even know called Gaia-someting. I also had a mail from them saying that they aprecciated my business, and a mail from paypal saying that my account had been used by a third party and was temporary locked.

Not a good way to start your weekend...

So, Paypal costumer service made a claim and opened a dispute, i had to change password, but i also have to go trough that validation process again, sending my data by fax, proof of adress, bla bla bla, and wait for clearence to use my account again...

Did this happened before to someone? I had the idea that paypal was one of the safest ways to send and receive money. Should this be a warning to future transactions?

:?

this happened to a guy at my work, they got his paypal and ebay account details through a hijack of his hotmail account, I have separate email addresses and passwords for each now just as an added security measure.

This same thing happened to me on Friday!

I hadn't even heard of that Gaia Online website before. Some a$$hole with a username rewt3455 had made a 40 USD payment from my PayPal account.

Made an dispute case on PayPal and filed a reclamation to Gaia Online and was refunded today.

The bad thing was that I had made a few payment on Friday myself and now those are on hold by PayPal. Really nice, probably the sellers are very happy to do business with me now!

I also had to change the password (twice!), questionnaires and also had to send a utility bill as a proof of address.

I just wonder that how someone has been able to hijack my password ?!?

i got a message saying a email had been added to my account, but the link was a spoof link - i dont know if people know this, but in IE, when you put your mouse pointer over the link, the actial address is shown in the status bar long the bottom

Yeah. I had an email a couple of days ago from 'Paypal' saying my visa details had been changed and to click the link to confirm my details.

Being the paranoid git I am I went via another route to my Paypal account to check. T'was a load of bullshit, but I'd already guessed that.

Sounds like Paypal is being hit hard at the moment though. :?

i just found out for sure this evening that i to have been robbed, some tw@ has put 30 quid of credit on his phone (i don't even have a mobile!) and wired 88 quid to russia :x :x :x

The Ken":ce3o242r said:
I have separate email addresses and passwords for each now just as an added security measure.

I've got seperate e-mail addresses and passwords for almost everything I do online. I did this after some to$$er jacked my e-bay account from the good 'ol U S of A and put 15 mobiles up for sale. I had a $400 listing fee charge.
Luckily enough I checked my account before going to bed at 1am and it took me 2 hrs to cancel the bids, change passwords and contact e-bay/paypal etc.
E-bay refunded me the money by the time I got home from work the following day :D

Vitorzip":1nx93jcy said:
Did this happened before to someone? I had the idea that paypal was one of the safest ways to send and receive money. Should this be a warning to future transactions?

:?

Vitor.....do you have strong passwords and change them regularly?

I had an email saying that paypal had noticed login errors and my account had been frozen, click the link to release the restrictions, well a couple of payments went through OK so guessed it was a hoax.

I'm amazed that they'd go through all that bother to get their hands on my £2.43 balance :roll:

Back