Ali. The Greatest.

Sorry but not for me. Anybody who goes round punching people in the face is not great in ny opinion.

The truly great are those who give up their time, money, privileges and sometimes their lives to go help those in great need. You dont hear of then as it not glamorous.

Re:

Ali did a lot of charity work with the money he made boxing, which makes him a great humanitarian as well as a great champion...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 11.39.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 11.39.41 AM.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 859
02gf74":1eoomdwd said:
Sorry but not for me. Anybody who goes round punching people in the face is not great in ny opinion.

Fine not to like but that's not really any kind of analysis of boxing.

It's been a long time coming, but a very very sad day indeed.

02gf74":t6pra1e1 said:

The truly great are those who give up their time, money, privileges and sometimes their lives to go help those in great need. You dont hear of then as it not glamorous.

You just reminded me of one of his greatest qualities. His sense of humour. Something completely lacking in anyone who is a Top Gear fanboy apologist for a powerful executive punching a subordinate..

Jeremy Clarkson is your man for 'going round punching people'..

Ali at least knew they signed up for it and were in the ring as equals before landing his blows..

Re:

He was a genuine GREAT. It was hard to watch him fight in the last few years, as you could see things weren't right and he was just doing it to pay off the crippling alimony payments.

Loved his humour especially and his lightening quick wit. Such an intelligent chap and fun to watch fight in his heyday.

RIP.

Re:

:cry: sad times only in these last few years can we appreciate his stance on the Vietnam war,and his struggle against racism.
The fact he made his name in boxing pales in comparison to what he did outside the ring. Rip

Re: Re:

kenaltobelli":5dkvl7w4 said:
:cry: sad times only in these last few years can we appreciate his stance on the Vietnam war,and his struggle against racism.
The fact he made his name in boxing pales in comparison to what he did outside the ring. Rip

He must have had a day off when he was running around calling Ernie Terrell (his sis could sing a bit) 'an uncle tom nigger'
and it's probably better to airbrush the joe-frazier-gorilla outfit from any eulogies

The clip of him explaining his wife could'nt speak to the interviewer except through him was'nt bonny viewing.

Watched the Zaire fight when i was 3ft tall in the odean on oxford road...delayed telstar jobee....feels like 4 centuries ago now.

I've always felt Clay was clearly better than he'd ever shown, he was more than somewhat savvant in his outlook to 1-on-1 combat....even his rope-a-dope stunt masks great intelligence to a situation.. with most voices in the game declaring it to be a tactic to tire an opponent, the tiring was only ever a side-show to the real tactic which is to circumnavigate kopping for an uppercut,the rest of foremans arsenal being no great shakes(he knockt frazier out the ring with said uppercut)...you cant land an uppercut when an opponent leans back on the ropes and it seems ever so simple once it's been done but unlike every other heavyweight in history clay had already won the heavyweight title previously by employing a totally different style...that in itself is unique. I've seen old footage of him chatting with cus d'mato who was somewhat enamoured by his own style (trying to make him have it) and watched clay trying to interject into the chat....he was countering everything cus said live...he was fluid to combat..savant...looking at his fathers kite i'd say he was no doubt responsible.

He was clearly the best heavy ever...besides folk waxing on about Marciano...Rockys great record aint that great in the cold light of day...the number of fights he had were not title fights (big difference)...in fact he only had 5 title fights and retired, the youngest of the 5 was 36yrs and the oldest somewhere between 48 and 53yrs...truth was Rocky was'nt the best of his own era never mind the best ever, after nearly 12yrs of Joe Louis America manipulated a white man onto the heavyweight throne and he would't (and did'nt) ever be fighting a good young black prospect. Joe Louis had/made 26 title fights, clay was early 20's from memory(robbed of 3yrs of primetime). Even the cooper knock down is far from the full picture, Dundee ripping the glove is by the by(and the smelling salts were illegal/flapping like a gud en cos the gravy train had fallen over), clay hit the deck and was up again unaided and walking back to his corner within 4 seconds...that would probably be half difficult to do without getting punched (make of that what you will). Cooper never laid another glove on him after touching him with his left..not another glove that involved a return fight.

^ that said Clay was'nt beyond the odd stroke or two..the spinks fight was cut-up between the pair of them, Spinks had never earned so much money and two guaranteed fights (90 day return clause and clay gets it back :? ) where he knew nobody was gonna get hurt must have been like all his birthdays....30 rounds of sparring for 3 or 4 mill$...good stunt and Clay got to be 3 times heavyweight champion of the world. I suppose nowadays it would be a move akin to de niro making comedies for big dough...so to speak.

Clay and cryuff both n'more..their balance fascinated me....50yrs later cant say they've been bettered

Re:

What is the issue with the name Ali chose?

There is context to all the remarks he made about opponents, it was a different time.

What is in no doubt right now is that continuing to refer to him by a name used by slave owners is a deliberate refusal to acknowledge a man's right to escape oppression and define himself.

I am sure there is a shortcut for that, but I won't play those games.

Back