Decent sound quality retro ish speaker recommendations pleas

Leighcal

Retro Guru
Yesterday I was lucky enough to stumble upon a small well known hi-fi separates. Namely a technics compact separates system comprising of CD player, tuner and amp, there was no speakers with it but I got the hi-fi for nothing it was going to be thrown out! When I was younger technics were the brand to have, other than making the best you could afford from different brands this small technics system was a good little set up.
So I was very happy when I got it yesterday.
I want to use it with my tv as the sound quality from my tv isn't great and my other half actually likes the look of it, unlike everything else I've brought into our house! So to do this I would like some recommendations on what speakers to use. When I was younger my dad always had missions, mordaunt short, Rodgers etc. And the sound quality was good from all speakers I remember but the ones that still stand out to this date are the missions. I would have a pair of these in a heartbeat but it would also be nice to hear what other people would use? When my dad was using these speakers you could go to well known hi-fi shops and they would set up whatever you wanted so you could get the full effect and quality of sound but I don't think that would be as easy done these days.

Anyway, all info taken on board and maybe someone has something that will suit my requirements.

Thanks again

Leigh

Re:

I bought some ancient Monitor Audio r352s recently for £35, and they are very good indeed! Made in 1987, is that too retro?

LGF will be along in a minute....

It will depend on what system you have (pics please!) as some were designed to be 'bi-wired' with separate connections for treble and bass.

Plus the amplifiers used in these mini systems are not very powerful so require very efficient speakers otherwise the amp will get hot and go poop.

If its what I think it might be, I would suggest a small subwoofer with a 'high level' input (wired via the speaker connections to the back of your stereo) then connect just about any small speaker to the output of the sub. The subs' internal crossover would then filter off some of the low end that makes the amplifier work hard leaving the sub to make all the low stuff with the amp/ speakers doing the rest.

Re: Re:

andyz":1npl8jbe said:
I bought some ancient Monitor Audio r352s recently for £35, and they are very good indeed! Made in 1987, is that too retro?

LGF will be along in a minute....

Cooeeeee! <waves>

Those speakers are nice but would need a bigger amplificator.

@lgf. Sadly it's not the system you're thinking of, i wish it was because I would have bought different speakers. I ended up buying a pair of mission 702e floor standers, I know I wanted bookshelf but these came up cheap.
I'll try some pics uploaded but may not be for bit as I'm without camera.

Latest posts

Back