Sliding doors, anyone recommend a fair priced kit

Leighcal

Retro Guru
As title says really. Am looming to fit a sliding door on my kitchen but can't seem to find a simple ish to fit, fair priced kit. I would rather do it my own way but better half doesn't want a bodge job! Nothing I've ever done has failed no matter how bodged it has been but she must be obeyed!!!!
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

Leigh

Thanks for that :).
So I buy this? http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/prod ... kg_/185217

That has everything I need for a door that weighs 18kg, have a 800mm door width and don't need anything other than maybe screws and plugs?

I have good drill bits, good drill, screws and plugs. Other than the usual other bits, pencil etc. Just that kit and a bit of time and its done?

Thanks again.

Leigh

Re:

Will have a look when I get in but basically
It's not very difficult
Just follow instructions and drink lots of
Tea !!
(25 years in building trade)

I installed a few sliding doors this time last year, and am 100% happy with them. I got the bits from here;http://www.bullerltd.co.uk/

I used the hercules track, and the soft closers (in sliding door accessories). They're epically good, and rock solid. The soft closers mean you can fling the door shut, but it always closes soooooooft. The bearings are so good, a gentle nudge with your finger will fully shut the door.

Awesomes.

Take note of the max weight, doors are usually heavy.
The cheaper doors from B&Q(internal door) is usually considerably lighter due to it just being pine frame with ply back and sides and a cardboard honeycomb infill. Not very strong, but should last and theyre cheap enough to replace

That's the ones I'm going for. That's if I go with a slider now!
I have found somewhere that will do me what I originally planned. I originally wanted a folding door but when we went to b&q they didn't have a folder wide enough for my original frame. The place I found today is a sound bloke who will split a door for me and add hinges and batons as required. Adding hinges will add the extra bit I need for it to fit my frame. He is quite fair with prices also. B&Q want £21 for a standard door and £68 I think it was for the folding door! Quite a difference in price. This guy I've found works from a tiny shop the size of a back to back terraced house, he has workshop downstairs and a fire hazard of doors to go at. Obviously his prices are a bit higher for the doors at £25 each for same doors as b&q but he will split door and remodel into a folding door for £10. So comes in £25 cheaper than b&q! The folding door will be easier to hang as I'll have all tools out to do job already and once I get the first done I'll fly through rest.
Now for handles! Think I may just order them otherwise old cranky will change her mind every hour and want 2 days to think about it!

Thanks for help guys.

Leigh

Latest posts

Back