Automatic Windows update kills internet connection

REKIBorter

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
My PC downloaded and automatically installed a windows update, after the next restart the internet connection (virginmedia cable) is dead. nada nought nothing kaput.

Did a system restore to last Mondays settings and everything is back to normal, once again PC did automatic update with same result. Done another system restore and I've disabled automatic updates. Any ideas?

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me yesterday/this morning. System Restore fixed it. Just have to not download the update I guess...

I bet you're running Zonealarm personal firewall..

The Windows update is to address a flaw in the DNS system however it kills Zonealarm.

I've got my XP machine set to not update, will do it once Zonealarm issue an update. The Windows patch for DNS flaw isn't that critical in my view.

Paddy

wow - same happened to me - thought it was something I did :roll: did system restore and everything fine again. Have reinstalled XP Update though (with no ill effect but haven't rebooted yet) - didn't realise that was the problem. What can I do now? Should I just do another restore?

have never updated windows xp since I bouth the pc , must be 3 or 4 years now . :LOL:

cchris2lou":1aj0kla2 said:
have never updated windows xp since I bouth the pc , must be 3 or 4 years now . :LOL:

:shock: :shock: Some of the updates are necessary to fix security problems.

Back