Dog toys, indestructible, very robust?

Leighcal

Retro Guru
I bought my dog a new toy from a well known shop the other day. Having a good look in the shop I thought this would be the hardest toy for her to break! But no! 12 hours later and......... It's wrecked!
I have a staffordshire bull terrier so she obviously has a very strong jaw, a bit stronger than most other dogs. Everything we get for her seems to be that bit tougher than what we have bought before, but then not many hours later it's in bits on the floor!
So without going crazy and giving her something metal to chew and play with, what can I give her? I want something as safe as possible. Good bit of weight so it can be thrown a good distance but not too heavy or bulky. My lad is getting fed up of having all hid football's, tennis balls etc been bust and my usual walking places are fast running out of suitable sticks.

Any help much appreciated
Thanks

Leigh

Anything Nylabone lasts well. The bits that come off are designed to be tiny. They do wear down but are great. A large original kong would also be good as when you jam something inside it can take the attention away from chewing/destroying and turn to getting it out.

Rope and rubber is generally useless.

(we've had 2 x gsd labs and terriers)

Re:

Buy the biggest Kong you can - they are pretty indestructable. Staffordshire bull terriers love to tug and indeed be swung in the air while gripping a toy. We knot a length of really thick rope into the Kong using a jam knot.

Make friends with your local butcher and buy fresh - not smoked Beef shin or knuckle bones. let the dog have it outside - but not near other dogs.

Thanks for that. I have seen the Kong stuff on eBay but I don't like buying anything without seeing it first or at least getting some info from other people first.
We bought her a big rawhide bone/chew very solid not brittle like some but even that was gone the same night we got it. She isn't a bad dog for chewing things, by that I mean she only chews what she's meant to chew never anything that's not hers. We get bones from a farm shop we go to regular but the smaller ones are soon gone and the big ones either get in the way as they're too big or they start to smell. We got her one from asda a ham bone vacuum packed, you've probably seen them? But they don't last 2 minutes and they splinter which I don't like.
The Kong balls that have been mentioned, do they do one with like a length of rubber to hold it/throw it with? I've seen some things on eBay that are rubber with a large ball and a length of rubber to hold, probably making it easier to throw and giving something to hold on to to play tug etc.

Thanks so far guys, couple more options than I previously had so thank you

Leigh

Anything smaller than a beef shin bone is dangerous to a Staffordshire as they will crush it and the splinters will result in Vets Bills. The same applies to all cooked or processed bones. Raw bones are really only suitable for outside use. Rawhide is a waste of time as you have found.

Get a length of thick rope from a DIY or similar thread it through the cong and knot it. I have also used rope leads and cut them as required. They give you a nice handle.

The hardest kong you can get lasted our staffie about twenty minutes.

A great option for throwing toys is a shinty practice ball. They float, and are too big for a staffie to get purchase on, so they last until they are lost!

Re: Re:

Bullpup":3n0knvzg said:
Make friends with your local butcher and buy fresh - not smoked Beef shin or knuckle bones. let the dog have it outside - but not near other dogs.

Quickly jumps in to say that dont give a dog a knuckle bone. :)
The surface is literally iron hard and harder than your dogs teeth. The middle of the bone(humorous,femur,foreleg)is what you want, and they like to work on it to get the marrow out.
The heads of the bones are nature designed to last a long time and support a huge weight. Pretty much one of the hardest substances found in a body.

The last bone we got from farm shop was from just above the knee to the ankle, obviously from a Cow but when she chewed it the joint on the knee part would rattle and made my other half cringe! Shame really as that was lasting well.

Latest posts

Back