Postage

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Been a long whe since I last looked at postage prices, what the usual one bow.

I plan on selling some smallish items (95/6 Judy seals for instance) but a look at Royal Mail and medium post is ~£5 2nd class or £1.10 more for signed for.

I know the seals should make a small packet at £2.85/£3.95 but that medium size was a but if a shock. Still £4 for a small signed for packet is getting steep now given Amazon etc seem to manage to post a 5quid item next day and I can have £2 items posted free from China within er a month.

I still think that considering what you're getting postage has always been cheap. It's just becoming a little less so.

It is, but if people can post from China and it still runs through our Royal Mail system for less than it cost me to post something and the only difference is someone has to pick it up from the post office to take it to the sorting place. Something needs sorting with the way other people are charged to use the royal mail, bringing the general publics price to post down (maybe not to recieve items though.).

/the fact I couldn't get to town and back on a buss for less than postage has nothing to do with it. Or the charges to park at a hospital for that matter.

Economy of scale. I'm sure if you're prepared to wait until you have a couple of thousand items to post or enough to fill a container your rates will come down.

I have a post box 20 yards from my house, three competing parcel service drop offs within half a mile and delivery people I know the names of who are reliable and trustworthy. I have approx 250 parcels delivered a year plus normal mail.

As an aside, I watched a programme about deisel engines last week. The latest Taiwanese cargo vessel carries 15,200 large lorry containers and does 55,000 miles on a full tank. That's just one ship.

Back