Photography Help.

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
I need some help. I am working on a work project that is going to involve taking quite a few pictures. Although dull, (a lengthy tome on prism constants)the document means that the subjects of the photographs are generally small and detailed. What's best? Put them on a white background or dark? Flash on or off? Where should the lighting (big window) be in relation to the subject? Where should I be in relation to the light?
I don't have a good camera, in fact I suspect it not at all good. (Obviously) photography has never been one of my things but how best to wring the best out of what I have?

Thanks.

If you have a conservatory or similar then use daylight on a bright but slightly overcast day (ie no direct light). Generally a white background unless items are predominately very light when black works well. Use a curved sheet of white or black card with another reflecting sheet of white card opposite the light source. Make sure the lightsource is coming from the side and above and don't cast any shadows in the way.

If you do not have a decent natural light source then you can use two powerful spot lights - one each side and colour correct on the computer. Natural light is much easier and more effective though.

Normally photograph items 3/4 of front view as close as possible and fill the frame.

Just did a quick sketch to illustrate the set-up.

With a basic set-up it is possible to achieve excellent results at home. I used to work as a photographer some years back but all my stuff for the
website etc is just done as above (natural light) with a £150 Nikon digital.

Attachments

• pic set-up.jpg
    pic set-up.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 660

Latest posts

Back