Thieves Or Drunks/Vandals?

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
Our old Range Rover was parked up in town last night, and I just got back from checking it had fuel, good battery, etc. as it is going in for work in the morning.

Went to start it, and key would not go into the lock.

After wriggling it around a few times it slipped in.

Then the ignition would not turn.

The steering lock was not on. Went back to the van and whipped out my torch, went back and took a look and the ignition has apparently been damaged by what looks like a screwdriver.

I sprayed in some three and one and used my spare keys, which are a bit thicker and it still worked.

We have moved it over to a fence where it is now 'blocked in' and under the CCTV.

I am thinking drunks with no idea, but there is no other vandalism.

More cynical would think perhaps thieves.

So would the first part of hotwiring it be to jemmy the ignition barrel?

I keep getting warned these get nicked all the time, but am surprised if anyone was going to risk trying to drive it off or load it on a trailer with so many cameras around.

One other distant possibility is that I never noticed the damage before, and am just paranoid. I hope that is it, and it was just stiff for some reason. But not so stiff I couldn't get it in.

A result of a grumpy forum user?

Anything without a factory fitted immobiliser is vulnerable. It really is a case of a screwdriver or popping the steering lock and joining a few wires.

Landrovers are especially vulnerable and are being targeted.

Probably thieves who got disturbed by someone.

The older LR vehicles are probably the easiest cars on the road to nick, and some of the easiest to sell on.

mattr":2di9m2j8 said:
Probably thieves who got disturbed by someone.

The older LR vehicles are probably the easiest cars on the road to nick, and some of the easiest to sell on.
+1.A few years back a friend had his Defender locks damaged,nothing taken.Local Landie dealer said disturbed car theft and quite common.

highlandsflyer":1plfldop said:
I keep getting warned these get nicked all the time, but am surprised if anyone was going to risk trying to drive it off or load it on a trailer with so many cameras around.
Cameras are not really a concern, once the cars moving, either on a trailer or under it's own steam, it'll be disappeared to a lock up within 12 hours (once they've checked for a tracker) and stripped and on it's way back out into the second hand market within 48-72 hours.

I have heard of cars with trackers being left in a shipping container for a good time first to flatten the battery, then being stripped and shipped.

Re:

I have a hidden switch to turn off the power to the electric fuel pump on my Jag. Since it has a carburetor, it will start up, then die about 10 seconds later from lack of fuel...

Re:

That is cool Pat, just enough time for them to make some noise!

Just can't see why they would go after an older RR, it is just a Disco 1 after all.

I don't think the 'thieves' were very professional anyway, they hadn't sorted out the battery isolator.
ix626t.jpg

Don't think they will be trying again, unless lamp posts are easy to remove?
iqdnc0.jpg

Back