R.I.P. paul daniels.

My over-riding memory is that I once got stuck in a traffic queue with Paul Daniels on the M40. We had overtaken, and been overtaken by, a jeep that my friend in the passengers seat said was being driven by Paul Daniels. I thought he was joking, until he told me to look at the number plate, which was MAG1C. Soon after, we hit the worst traffic queue I've ever been in and Paul Daniels was stuck a few cars behind. It was very hot and there was no movement at all, so everyone was getting out their cars and walking about. We walked about a mile up the queue to find out what was going on and back, got talking to people and there were even people who got a badminton set out and started playing over their car. I wished I had a football with me to kick around, but most of all, we were all willing Paul Daniels to get out his jeep and entertain us all with an impromptu act, but he just sat there looking miserable and not making eye contact with anyone, with the back of his jeep filled with exciting looking metal cases.

Cliff would have regaled you with 'Summer Holiday', so it could have been worse!

Fashionable to be cynical these days, but he was a great entertainer.

Likewise...I didn't like his politics and he wouldn't have been on my dinner party list, but I did always watch his shows for their clean, tidy, un-showy non-Las Vegas style, his clear love of the craft and knowledge of the history of showmanship.

Oh..that and Debbie in a short skirt... :D

Amazing special guests etc too...his shows were never all about him, despite his obvious huge ego.

All the best,

If it wasn't for him i wouldn't have been scared of Hans Moretti.

David Nixon, Ali Bongo, Paul Daniels all wonderful entertainment in their day.

And Debbie was hot.

Oh yeah..Hans Moretti :cool:

Catching bullets and crossbow bolts, escaping from chains under water, brilliant.
A quick google shows that Hans surprisingly died peacefully a few years ago aged 84, not in drowned, in flames or a hail of bullets

I don't recall Paul D. ever getting wet for showbiz ;)

All the best,

Re:

You can't forget Debbie

_88362491_023088401-1.jpg

danson67":36w11t00 said:
Likewise...I didn't like his politics and he wouldn't have been on my dinner party list, but I did always watch his shows for their clean, tidy, un-showy non-Las Vegas style, his clear love of the craft and knowledge of the history of showmanship.

Oh..that and Debbie in a short skirt... :D

Amazing special guests etc too...his shows were never all about him, despite his obvious huge ego.

All the best,

+1

Telling that no-one mentioned Cliff Michelmore, who died on the same day.

R.I.P. Cliff

Mike

Back