Private renting

Mr Universe

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

I'm moving out of the country at the end of March due to a new job overseas ) , and I'm thinking of letting out my old dads flat that he left to me when he passed away and has been my uk base for a few years now..

Don't really wanna sell it as it holds a lot of good memories and times :)

It's nothing much just a two bed flat, but it'd be furnished and I'd leave all the appliances in for the tenant.

Ideally though , I'd like to just rent out just one of the bedrooms , (the largest) and keep the small room for me to use as a continued uk base when I'm back in the country, don't know if it'd work, but that's my thoughts,

I have good neighbours and they have helped me loads through the the years , but they are in their retro years so don't want to leave them with bad tenants.. Etc.

What worries me is it being wrecked or worse , late rents etc.., any one have any experience of this situation,

I know that a good estate agent could possibly vet and sort it out, but wondered what my options are and your thoughts

Ian

Re:

I don't know where you are located, but my advice is to rent out the bigger room to a couple of immigrant NHS workers. Chinese are usually super reliable and really look after the place.

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":198yrfkg said:
I don't know where you are located, but my advice is to rent out the bigger room to a couple of immigrant NHS workers. Chinese are usually super reliable and really look after the place.

Thanks , sorry , I'm yup north Newcastle upon Tyne,.

The though of Chinese immigrants (or indeed any immigrants) in my flat has sent shivers down my back and for some reason can't get the images of herbal remedies being cultivated and a sudden increase in animals going missing :facepalm:

Let's hope those overseas venues you plan to inhabit hold less prejudicial views on immigrants.

Of course, being from where you are, you would always make sure animals get a taxi home. After all, you would have promised to see them again.

Re:

highlandsflyer":3jnkkdbk said:
Let's hope those overseas venues you plan to inhabit hold less prejudicial views on immigrants.

I'm sorry if you found my comment prejudicial, and apologies to anyone who found it offensive, however the experiences I've heard of firsthand hasn't been a good one through renting out to immigrants, privately or through an estate agent.

Let me explain ,

One of my friends has a three bedroom house in Newcastle upon Tyne , he went through a highly recommended and well know estate agent , so all the vetting and back ground checks etc were suppose to have been done.

All seemed well to start , the rent was paid and home visits were apparently carried out, all seemed fine, he came back to the uk, and went to live with his mother in York until the tenancy was due to come to an end,, near the end of the tenancy he was contacted by the estate agent and was told their were problems with recent payments and that they had not been able to contact the tenants.

When he visited his property , the tenants had gone, and had found the whole upper floor of the house had been gutted and had been used to cultivate illegal drugs, the lower part of the house had also been damaged , kitchen wrecked and appliances removed were just some of the horrors, needless to say he was devestated and cost him thousands to repair which to this date he has not been able to recover.

The second case is of a woman I know who rented her flat (again to immigrants, through recommendation) and she is currently in a battle through court trying to obtain possession , she is living with friends currently in a one bedroom cottage , while her flat is being used to house two families with six children :facepalm:

Now I'm not saying that all immigrants are bad, their are bad eggs in every batch , and I have heard of other non immigrant letting problems, but it just worries me as to what may happen once mŷ property is let.

My OP was to ask of anyone else having experience with letting and who they used, and what sort of things I need to ask, look out for etc.

Again for the benefit of HF and of anyone else who took offence , I apologies for the way what I wrote maŷ have come across, it was meant in a lighthearted way and was wrote through knowing of experiences with immigrants.

highlandsflyer":3jnkkdbk said:
Of course, being from where you are, you would always make sure animals get a taxi home. After all, you would have promised to see them again.

I don't know how you heard of Cindy the hamster and her two friends getting a taxi back from the town last week when we went out , but I can tell you it was a good night , and I'll leave it there.

Ian

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":3qwt8yce said:

And this isn't prejudicial?

I'd recommend using a letting agency with a guaranteed rental scheme so that it's their responsibility to collect the rent and check the conditions of the property, especially as you're abroad. I suspect that the problem with only renting out one room is that there will be a difference between a lodger and a tenant and this may impact on your options when using an agency.

I have no experience of immigrants renting out my own property but having lived with loads over the years I'd say there's always a risk whether the tenant comes from Newcastle or New Delhi.

It doesn't matter on your nationality. There will always be good and bad.
Although my old house is let out to a perfectly nice Indian couple.
That being said the guy who bought the house next door and filled it with council referrals.
Got that bad he had to give the police a key in the end.
Good luck in finding a reliable tenant. Don't be afraid to offend anyone in finding the right tenant.

Re:

Be under no illusions, I lived with a bloke once who had been renting out his property for a while, through an established agent who had a high profile locally. When he moved back in, there were holes bashed in the plaster, fleas in the carpets (they had had cats there and yet he had stipulated no pets) and they had done some kind of fiddle with the gas meter, which came back to bite him on the bum (along with the fleas) once they were long gone, and British Gas made him pay it all back.

The agent washed their hands of it all completely. I left him after a few months, nothing to do with the state of his abode, more to do with the fact he was an ignorant selfish bar steward :LOL:

Sorry, that wasn't very encouraging, was it...... :facepalm:

Back