mazda 6, anyone owned or own one?

Leighcal

Retro Guru
A couple of weeks ago my other half got some good news about some ppi money owed to her. We currently own a Renault megane 1.5dci 106bhp sport toured. I know that any car can and probably will be better to live with than old megane, some may say anyway. But touch wood to this day she hasn't been a bad motor. We bought her in May/June 2015 with 182000 miles one her clock on a 07, yes high miles but still drove very well and cheap at £750. We have since put 7000 miles on her with no trouble, the odd oil top up and water for windscreen washers is all I've had to do. For mot in August she passed with 1 advisory been a tyre that was done there and then.
She has her niggles though, rear drivers side window and front passenger window work when they want and drivers side drive shaft has become noisy but other than that she's been a good motor.
I've been around cars most of my life so can do bits what need doing as long as it doesn't involve a computer I can probably do it. In this time though I've never had any experience with a mazda and my better half has her heart set on a mazda 6. Something 2009 and after is affordable so not very old.
As I've never had any e experience with mazda I just want to know what they are like to live with. I know that if we were to go for a mondeo or vectra or something like that we would get a lot more car for the money but they also depreciate more. I know to look out for certain things, flywheel on diesel models, timing chain, belt etc. But is there anything to really look out for on mazdas? She's swaying to a mazda 6, but I wouldn't mind a 5, just for the extra seats/space and a device seen have screens in the rear which would be excellent with a 2 year old and another due late May. I know stuff like this can be added but if we are going to spend that much on a car I would much rather it had everything in already. Sat nav, cruise control, electric windows, leather and heated seats. There's no rush to buy as we still have megane to use until the right car comes up. I don't want to lose space either as we have megane now she's a estate so plenty of space without needing a trailer.
I could go on all day but I'm gonna leave it here for now and hopefully get some positive comments that will help me to decide what to go for and maybe some reasons to talk the better half into a mazda further or get her away from them.
Thanks in advance
Leigh

I've owned a couple, old 323 and an original (first year of production ) MX5.
The 323 was unbreakable, and the MX5 the only car I miss.

And I've owned lots of cars.

I've had a couple of Mazda's, and I'd happily have another.

First one was an '07 Mazda 6. This was the 2.3 turbo petrol 4x4 "MPS" version. I miss this car more than any other I've ever owned. It was fast. Very very fast. It handled like a sports car, and it was utterly reliable. In the five years and 70,000 miles I ran it, it didn't once let me down. Most of all though, it was comfortable. Soooo comfortable, I once drove it from London to Andorra (840 miles) without issue in one sitting... And this was a version with spring rates 40% stiffer than a standard 6.

My brother bought a used 2002 2.0 diesel when it was five years old, and ran it until late last year. He's not exactly gentle with cars, but with 170,000 miles on the clock he sold it on having failed to break it.

I've now got a 2013 MX5 that I bought new. I've only done 18,000 miles, but it's still like new. No problems, issues, or foibles of any kind.

Had one and loved it with 4 years blissful and carefree motoring.Only reason I sold it was the company car.As soon as thats gone Im going for a 6 estate.Extremely good car,you will not be disappointed.

Re:

Mazda 6 diesels have a documented injection problem - check out the forums, most would have been fixed by now.

They share a wee bit with Ford but not as much as you'd think. Their engines are there own and seem able to do high miles apart from the above.

Rust, nothing rusts like a naughties Mazda! Its BAD, they rust like nowt seen in a long time when theres no reason to.

Re:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EH1G4EwljM[/youtube]

ALL cars have their problems, and if you went for a five year old Mondeo or such it would have done all of its depreciating.

Thanks for your input guys. 4 cars we have narrowed it down to now are. Toyota avensis, vectra and mondeo. These 3 because they can be found cheaper than mazda 6 and you get a bit more car for your money. I know vectra and mondeos can be problematic as any car can be. Also in the thoughts are volvo, have to be a estate because saloons are no good for us. Passat. Or the mazda 6. I think it's just going to be a case of finding one of each car at a good price with a good history and driving them to decide what we end up with. We don't want anything older than what we have now which is 07, so that rules out my first choice of car which would be a discovery 300tdi just because I like them so much and they are a doddle to work on.
If anyone can suggest any other spanners to throw in the works then go ahead.
Thanks so far
Leigh

legrandefromage":1qgrj18n said:
Avensis over any of them, value, longevity etc

Had one, Hated it. The most boring car I've ever had. Boring to look at, be in, drive.. A true "white goods" vehicle. Just an utterly tedious four wheeled box with all the charisma and desireability of a fridge.

That said, it didn't go wrong.

Back