Metal detector!

ringo

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
After lurking around a few Detectorist forums, i've taken the plunge and bought a metal detector...

Completely new to it all but wondered if anyone here is into the hobby? Would welcome any tips... Not getting into to it to find a hoard of gold coins but it looks like another good chance to get outside and explore some local history...

And yes, the decision was in some way influenced by the recent TV comedy series!

Beaches.

I used to do it as a lad in Brighton. Found Silver Deutsche marks, gold rings and alsorts around the West Pier. Loads of silver coins in fact.

Re:

One of my fondest memories of '88, camping at Lulworth Cove.

We noted two detectorists scanning the pebbles at the harbour end. Very thorough they were, working up and down in a rigid, overlapping pattern.

By the time they trudged over to us at the far end, they were extremely excited to get a result immediately below our camp. The pair threw themselves down on their knees and unfolded their spades; salivating as they shovelled out the pebbles. A crescendo of beeping and panting ensued, something like R2-D2 having an orgasm if you will, as they located their precious treasure.

Our heroes excitement turned first to disappointment, then to disgust, as they realised their hours of work had netted them a six week old camping spoon!

"Thanks, I have been looking for that all morning!", I ventured as I retrieved it from them.

How we giggled as they cottoned on to what had transpired, and their disgust turned into quiet despair.

Thanks guys... beaches don't quite appeal as much.. run in to many highland flyer types! Also, I'm about as far as possible from the coast..

Lots of arable land round our way that civil war battles took place on!

ringo":24zxa6sk said:
Lots of arable land round our way that civil war battles took place on!

Go on to Google Maps, pick your area then go to satellite image and look for impressions/patterns/indentations on the ground indicating dwellings/construction work.

Re:

Thanks all. Good advice. Also, thanks cheese, I will check with the wife before I go!

I say use your sixth sense to lead you to an area you would like to er..detect :)

We have this ESP whether you believe to or not. Most will have experienced something that suddenly turned out to be a good idea. Like not going at the lights or a junction just as something late rockets through or past a second later

Latest posts

Back