Very OT: Does anyone here work in the CAD sector? RE Pay

Whatmot1

Devout Dirtbag
Hello, I'm after a bit of guidance if anyone can help me...

Basically I already have a full time salary (Forces) but I'm hoping to do a bit of freelance (if you like) CAD work for my old boss. I'm already pretty competent with 2D Auto-CAD (I've got a C&G Lv3 qual) but my old boss would like a dozen or so drawings doing in 3D if I can. Now I can probably self teach myself 3D (providing my copy of 2007 autocad has got it) but my biggest issue is how much I should charge for my services? Should I charge per drawing or per hour? He probably won't want them published so the raw drawings will probably get sent straight to his 'tool maker'. Any guidance is much appreciated

Re:

Charge per hour, but you woukd need to see drawing and estimate time for each. Allow 30-50% time in case stuff takes a bit longer.

Re:

I work both by the hour and fixed price. it depends on my clients, some have very unpredictable supplied note quality so are on hourly billing either with a max price or on trust, others that have very steady quality of information I have a basic price per size variation.
These work for all, just make sure it works for you.

The first advice I was given when starting out was "don't screw the client financially", I always stuck with that, but also make sure that your not working for peanuts.

Thanks 02gf74 and munkey_bwy

At the moment I'm just trying to get my head around how long it'll actually take me because 1. I've never timed myself to draw machine drawings & 2. Although I know what he wants me to draw, I don't specifically know what variations and how complicated they are.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do either of you charge per hour? Or do you know roughly what a CAD technician is on per hour?

Re:

Depends which version of AutoCad 2007 you use. If its "full" Autocad 2007 then you will be able to create and view 3d models. If its "light" AutoCad LT 2007 then you wont. You may be able to import a model but not manipulate it. Older versions of LT used to still allow you to use the 3d orbit command but newer versions don't unfortunately.

When I was at university a couple of years ago I used to prepare architectural and fabrication drawings as a contractor for an old firm and would charge them 20ph so the post above is spot on I feel.

Where in the uk are you?

Re:

Dont work in tbis field so cant give rates.

Point i was making is to have a good idea hiw long it will take, you dont want to estimate 2 hours then it takes you 20.

.. even so, the more you do, the more accurate your estinates become.

Re:

In that case sounds like you are good to go!

It sounds fairly similar in the way that I learned to use 3d - I could use 2d Autocad to a fairly advanced level and essentially taught myself how to model in 3d through trial and error so i probably don't know the most efficient ways. I tend to draw everything as a 2d polyline, create a region of it and then use a mix of the 3d commands (normally by guess work) to get what I want and then delete all the hidden or incorrect geometry left over on it.

I have quite a good book for AutoCad 2005 which helped a lot in learning the basics - the 2007 and version is practically identical. I will see if I can find it - it may even be at my folks house in norfolk!

Back