Recommend me a grown-up car

russ77

Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hello all. I've had a large company car for several years but have recently changed jobs. They have provided a car again but it's a far smaller Megane hatchback. Fine for work, no good for family holidays, trips to B&Q etc.

I need a second car. Something big enough for two adults, three under-fives and luggage for a week away. Not worried too much about petrol versus diesel.

We've got a limited budget of £7k. I'm quite open minded but my wife has said "no Mondeos," for some reason and doesn't want another white one.

I know what I'd spend the money on if I only needed two seats, but I've never paid enough attention to "real" cars. Any advice, please?

If not a Mondeo I'd go for one of its rivals like a VW Passat or Volvo Estate's of course with a 2.0l engine as anything smaller cc wise becomes really slugish when fully loaded. The're both good cars in their own right roomy enough for family hols and can take a decent pay load

Re:

Skoda estate of some sort, diesel Octavia...??

Wouldn't have a clue on 2nd hand prices/values though as I haven't had to consider the question of a 'new' to me car for years.... :facepalm:

Re:

We had a Passat until a few months ago and it was great. Anything we need to look out for if going for a 2.0l diesel? The Skodas look good these days too. Same car in some cases I suppose.

I wouldn't know where to begin with Volvos. They were strictly off-limits to me until recently.

Steer clear of:

Ford. At that price there are upcoming can-bus faults that are infuriating to fix

Vauxhall. Weird electrical faults plus certain models setting fire to themselves

Wife friendly:
Nissan Cashcow - avoid wheezy 1.5Dci but women love the ride height

Kia Sportage - again high ride height and good reliability

All rounders:

Mazda 6 - make sure for good service history

Skodas are good value

I'd look at a Nissan X-Trail, its a Renault engine (complete with a flaky turbo) but generally reliable, a bit masculine but wife friendly enough if she wants to drive it. Look for the highest spec models.

Seat have niggly faults but are good value

Volvo are an odd mix of Ford and VW and share the same engine issues as Ford. Higher up, its VW engines so less issues.

Cant think of much else but £7k buys a brrrrand new Dacia?

http://www.dacia.co.uk/vehicles/logan-mcv/configurator/

a good service history is a must the milage isn't so important as they are more than capable of 300,000 plus check clutch biting point and listen for rattles from gearbox as dual mass fly wheels are expensive around £800 for a full clutch flywheel replacement. Look for cars in your budget with optional extras to get more for your money. HPi check the vecheal and if your not mechanically minded get some one to check it for you if buying private hope this helps

With 3 under 5's and I am guessing not triplets, your looking at something that will take prams, all the young kids stuff and travelling hear so an estate or larger people carrier . Something like a The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso.

My own personal favourite is a subaru outback 2.5 It is slightly raised so is the perfect height to put kids in and out. Gives 4wd safety and control, most will be leather, great for keeping clean with kids and the high mileage capacity is legendary, The boot space is more than capable of carrying kids luggage and needs.

Re:

Depending on age/mileage an Octavia VRS estate is right in that price range. The TDi version has some poke - so you won't be stuck in a traffic queue when unloaded, but has torque for efficiency tootling about & when loaded up.
It also has a boot (estate car, duh) where 'people carriers' carry people, but no space for luggage..
Not sure what's happening with diesel emissions charges for older cars though, and insurance groups will be higher for the VRS, but they do shift!

Reeeealy going further back, if you can find the estate version of the Mitsubishi Galant 2.5 V6 you shouldn't be disappointed. Service costs are high, insurance can be too; but you'll pick up a P-S reg example for little over 2k, and they often have low mileage as they were used by conservative people very often. The engines are very reliable and unbelievably smooth, but just take off when you need it.
Back seats comfortable, fuel economy not terrible though not great (v6 means if you keep the revs low it just cruises nicely) and room enough for a wardrobe in the boot! ;) Grown up below 5k rpm, fun over.

Re:

I wouldn't ignore a Renault Espace if absolute space is what you are after (holidays etc). A lot of the large estates don't actually have 3 proper seats in the rear so can't accommodate a 3 x child seat / booster combo. The Cirroen Grand Picasso or Renault Grand Scenic is also another good option for your price range and all have multiple isofix plus luggage space.

Back