Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi retro folk,

I thought I'd start a thread on my favourite winter sport, Biathlon. Viewing I hasten to add. Feel free to contribute, as I'm sure I'm not alone.

Well the 2015/6 season has kicked off on Ostersund, Sweden. Starting with the traditional warm-up relays, before the first serious race, the individual.
The mens' race was on Wednesday, and having recorded it, I had the opportunity to watch it tonight and I'm so pleased I did! A win for Norwegian, Einar Ole Bjorndalen.
This man is nearly 42, has competed in World Cup races for 22 years, and with this win, has taken 95 victories. Incredible! :shock:
There is apparently only one season that he hasn't taken a victory, 2013.
I've got the womens' race to watch next, before the weekend business of the sprint and pursuit races. Hope they're as exciting to watch! :cool:

Mike

I always thought it was the most bonkers combination of two completely incompatible sports; love it on the Winter Olympic coverage.

Re:

Surely its just like hunting?
I like the fact that the race standings can be turned on their head within a 25second shoot.
Being able to hit targets at all with your pulse in the 170s seems incredible to me.
I started watching it for motivation purposes. If they can put out such intensities at up to -20 degrees, the point at which races are cancelled, then I can go out training on my bike!
Now, as I don't race, I lke it in it's own right.
Many of the athletes do mountain biking in the summer months for fitness too.

Re:

It does seem like an odd combination, but I am amazed at the level of consistent shooting accuracy.

It is also interesting to see a society that readily accepts shooting as a sport, rather than a threat or something weird.

Re:

Some good racing this weekend, in Hochfiltzen, Austria. Despite the mild conditions, the organizers managed to lay a usable track of snow around the course. Quite bizarre to look at, but made the racing possible.
They did this by collecting snow up to 20 metres thick on some of the mountain roads, and transporting it to the venue, amazing! :shock: The logistics of making that possible is just amazing.
We get two inches of snow in our capital city, and it grinds to a halt! :facepalm:

The highlight being both the mens and womens relay events. Unclear until the sprints who would win.

Pokljuke, Slovenia next weekend, with the sprints, pursuits and mass start events. Looking forward to seeing those!

Mike

Back