tragic crash at air show

Re:

I was there today and watched as it crashed, a terrible thing to happen and to witness as the aircraft was coming out of a loop i thought it seems very low and the air speed was low to..then it went out of view and then we heard a dull "thud" and clouds of black smoke, at the time no one on the airfield was aware that it had hit cars on the A27
A terrible terrible thing to happen, my thoughts are with the family and friends of those that have lost their lives and have injuries.

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":2msuij78 said:
Happens too much. Outlaw them.

What happens too much? Death? Outlaw death? Outlaw sharp edges? Skiing with a go pro mount? Cycling? I'm sure more people die cycling than at airshows. Outlaw cycling. Outlaw asthma, all those silly sods trying to breath and cycle or just walk up a stairs, they're asking for it.

See how daft that all was, thats how daft you are.

It was an accident, a nasty nasty accident.

Re:

A review of safety practises regarding stunt flying would perhaps lead to better safety. In the meanwhile, ban all such activity near populated areas and busy roads full of people who did not pay to stand in a crowd watching idiots take totally unnecessary risks in order to soothe their egos.

There are plenty of remote unpopulated areas where, at a distance, such things can be done with as much risk as possible left with the pilot/s. We have a massive coast where all such business could be conducted over the sea.

This is the equivalent of an F1 race taking a lap out of Silverstone and around public roads.

Shouldn't have happened.

Silly indeed.

Re:

Really bad situation.

I agree about holding them somewhere more remote. The A27 is right on top of the airfield.
However, you could say the same about Gatwick and the M23.
How many planes go over that each day. Tough one.
I appreciate the planes and pilots are arguably under a lot more physical pressure doing stunts. A pilot was killed at the same airshow a few years ago. Apparently doing a barrel roll in a WW2 plane, that wasn't part of the display. No-one else hurt though IIRC
Meant to be day two today. I wonder whether it will go ahead now.
Heavy rain right now too

Mike

Re:

Isn't there a sort of stunt flying world cup thingy too? Held in cities. now that is crazy IMO
Anyway, off to tinker with some bikes now !
As you were

Mike

highlandsflyer":1zs8nelk said:
A review of safety practises regarding stunt flying would perhaps lead to better safety. In the meanwhile, ban all such activity near populated areas and busy roads full of people who did not pay to stand in a crowd watching idiots take totally unnecessary risks in order to soothe their egos.

There are plenty of remote unpopulated areas where, at a distance, such things can be done with as much risk as possible left with the pilot/s. We have a massive coast where all such business could be conducted over the sea.

This is the equivalent of an F1 race taking a lap out of Silverstone and around public roads.

Shouldn't have happened.

Silly indeed.

You'd have to ban the TT races, TDF, in fact cycling/ motorcycling as a whole, all those people showing off because they can ride upright within inches of fast moving tonnes of metal.

Re:

Again, audiences at motorcycle races, and motorsport in general, as with cycling, tend to be there by choice. No suggesting the fatalities at such are acceptable, but they look at how to minimise the risks.

I spent a lot of my youth being 'buzzed' by low flying jets. Quite thrilling. I am not particularly risk averse. There is a difference, these were passers by. They did not choose to be there, or in any way accept any risk.

It is, of course, quite different from living under the Heathrow flight path.

Unless commercial pilots have taken to exceeding the safe parameters to thrill the plane spotters.

There is no measure by which the maneuver being undertaken would be considered 'safe' and, given the location the pilot chose to undertake it, I feel he acted with an irresponsible disregard for life.

The organisers ought to be feeling a tad itchy in their seats as well.

Imagine it had hit the crowd.

I don't have time to dig up the statistics, but I am sure it will be shown air displays are overwhelmingly safe and this is a very rare occurrence, but that kind of information did not prevent F1 from striving to remove risk as the sport evolved.

You don't need to feel it is acceptable to have people dying at family events to avoid being labelled a killjoy.

Well, you shouldn't at any rate.

"WEST GERMAN BANS AIR FORCE SHOWS
(By SERGE SCHMEMANN, Special to the New York Times
Published: August 30, 198:cool:

RAMSTEIN, West Germany, Aug. 29— The West German Defense Minister announced today that he was banning further displays of military aerobatic flying over West Germany.

The move came a day after three Italian stunt planes collided and one plunged into spectators at the large United States air base here. More than 40 people were killed and hundreds injured, many critically."

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/08/30/world ... shows.html

highlandsflyer":256gfhvj said:

Shouldn't have happened.

Silly indeed.

I don't agree with a lot of what you post on here HF, but you are spot on this one.

Airshows are willy waving of the highest order and if that is what excites you then feel free to take the risks associated with it. But these are totally needless deaths of people with no connection to the event.

Back