QUAD HiFi seperates, some advice?

kase1983

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
hey all

Does anyone know anything about QUAD stuff.

been offered this from a mate, bought new, is aking 200 for the lot inc leads etc?

is it worth it? All working etc.

All the best

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_1373.JPG
    IMG_1373.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 681
What bits?

theres old quad which has a retro british vibe to it. and new Quad which chinese trading on the name, still acceptable stuff.

pics just loaded.

Some classics right there Got the poweramp and the pre amp. whats the 3rd box? tuner?? defo retro quad. probably 90's.

ebay quad 606 and look at the sold prices..... lets just say if its working , clean ideally mint with boxed and hasnt spent its life on car roofs.... £200 looks like a noice price.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just remember the tuner will be redundant around 2018 when the fm is switched off. So I would flip that immediately if you do buy it and dont listen to the radio much.

Agreed
It is however a consideration if the quad fm tuner still has some retro value and the OP doesnt plan on using it.

Better than it gathering dust and one day being totally valuless...

Just binning a sony prologic reciever myself that I kept for about 15 years too long in the loft ;)

True...just reviving the Thorens TD160 now the kids are big enough to stay away from it.

I think the tuner is great for Radio 3, most of the rest is horribly distorted for cheap receivers.
Off to the recycling centre for some more LPs next!

kase1983":1wxfxcup said:
hey all

Does anyone know anything about QUAD stuff.

been offered this from a mate, bought new, is aking 200 for the lot inc leads etc?

is it worth it? All working etc.

All the best

Doug

I used to work for Quad. These would have been made in Huntingdon in the early 90's.

You have a 606 power amp - I sold mine for around £329 plus shipping

A 34 'grey' pre-amplifier - they sell for around £250 - £300

And an FM4 tuner - they sell for around £100 - £200 BUT, the battery for the memory tends to leak killing off the circuit board. If it switches on and shows an odd display, its fooked. Repair is possible but time consuming and expensive.

The power amp is very powerful at around 120w (*actually 140w) into 8 ohms x2. The pre-amp is very clever but not the best sounding depending on your tastes. KEF speakers were a big partner of Quad for some time during the 80's and early 1990's.

£200 is a good price especially if it has all the original boxes.

Theres nothing 'retro' about it either. There isnt much new in the technology behind amplification (Class D doesnt count!) and to buy a new pre/power combo like that would set you back a good few pennies.

Quad built much of their stuff in house including casting the fascias. The paint is Nextel and is similar to Marins' Zolatone. Mission and Cyrus amplifiers used the same finish. Very prone to pealing and a git to clean. Soft cloth and warm soapy water - dont use cleaners!

The 606 still exists in the form of a 909. These are chinese built - a lot of the early Chinese built equipment had to be re-manufactured at the Quad service centre in Huntingdon because, well, it wasnt great. Not so common these days. The 909 is £1200 which gives a clue as to why a similar 606 or 707 is still quite sort after

Back