Dear Halfords

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Dear Halfords

i work in a bike shop, i am the mechanic, a good one, trained and qualified. what i would like to ask is:- can you as a brand please stop selling such poor quality rubbish such as your own apollo brand, it's horrendously poor quality, badly made, poorly assembled mass produced rubbish in the shape of a bike with some of the worst designed and made parts i have ever come across in my 20 years in the cycle trade. what exaggerates the terrible bikes is they are put together by your untrained disinterested (in bikes) staff or given to customers to assemble themselves, either way they can not be considered safe to use by the end user, most of which are kids. you as a company should not be allowed to sell bikes, it's wrong of you to do so in this manner.

i have to put up with your customers coming in to my workplace upset because there are limits to what can be done to repair these bikes, limited by the lack of quality in the components, upset when i have to tell them to replace a part as it's dead or the parts are simply unavailable to repair. what compounds the issue is most of these customers always want to pay the least amount for anything as they already got sucked into your "50% off" promotion which we all know is a blatant sales lie, the bike was never "£400" and "now only £200" the rrp should at most be £100 and even that is a rip off for such an utter pile of scrap metal.

so please stop selling these bikes, get some actual trained staff and concentrate on selling bikes like the Boardmans after they have been checked properly by trained mechanics.

selling apollo etc bikes can only damage your reputation, upset customers, put people off cycling and cause bike mechanics across the country to hate you as a brand.

---------------

while i know there will be some useful staff in selected shops who will do their level best to sell a better bike than the apollo brand, this week i have had the misfortune of attempting to repair some utter dross where the customers simply don't know or can't comprehend just how bad the "bikes" they have bought are. i understand people have a budget which halfords and toys r us etc cater for price wise but these bikes do nothing for the industry but make the owners hate riding and think they are being ripped off, by halfords for selling them rubbish when they finally realise it's rubbish or they feel ripped off by the local bike shop because they simply don't understand why it costs a lot to repair their bike at not far off the price they paid for it.

i have been so frustrated dealing with these customers this last few days, they are very unhappy to be told "it will cost £XXX" or "i can't repair that i have to replace that part, i realise it's only 3 months old but . . . ", but to give them bikes back that are repaired and safe is simply what i want to do but i'm limited by their budget and misunderstanding of what the "bike" actually needs to be safe.

i just wish these poor quality objects simply didn't exist.

Re:

Can you not simply redirect them (customers) back to the source of the problem rather than you get the flack?

Re:

the problem is that the customers know that Halfords can't or won't repair the bike, or just simply don't take them there as it doesn't even occur to them that halfords do repairs, this means local bikes shops around the country get the customer, arguably it means we have workshop business but it's at the point where sometimes the time it takes to source non standard parts and fit them which is never simple as they are so bad or poor fitting that if you charged an actual realistic hourly rate it would be so high that no one would actually pay it, which is pretty much the case anyway.

Re:

That's a bit the point...let them
have the bad business if there
is little / no margin for you.

Dear Raleigh,

It's 1975 and I work in Raleigh 5 Star dealership as a mechanic doubling up as sales on the lightweight side.

Can you please stop selling rubbish bikes put together by people who have endured a 3 day week and electricity in their homes on and off.

The wheels are out of true, none of the nuts are tight, brakes are not centred and it takes can age to get them roadworthy, the paint finish is crap and I spend hours with touch up and cunningly applied extra decals to get them ready for sale. It costs you a fortune in warranty claims to put things right.

Carlton and Falcon can generally put a bike together why can't you.

OK, Peter Post has spent a million quid and SBDU can build frames but why does a Raleigh Wayfarer or a Hustler take all day for me to get ready to sell .....

Shaun, 40 years before the above post :)

Send them to Toys R Us.

Friend's wife just bought a bike in a box from Tesco (£49.99, seriously).

Brought it in as she was struggling to put it together.

Apart from pressed tin brake calipers etc, the supplied 'tool kit' was a dog bone spanner and two allen keys.

Once I'd turned the forks the right way round, there was no way of tightening the quill stem as the short side of the allen key was too short and not enough leverage the other way.

After a bit of work it went from unbelievably horrible to just total crap. At least it more or less stops and vaguely steers now.

But if halfords wont sell them then someone else like argos, asda, tesco etc will and halfords will lose money. As long as people are wanting to buy cheap bikes, halfords will sell them.

Re:

My manager came in with his recently-bought bike in the hope that I could service it.

A Trax FFS! :facepalm:

And to think this bellend runs a depot. Couldn't run a firkin bath! :roll:

All of a sudden, the ride to work scheme comes back in, and another colleague asks my advice about what's the best spec for what he can afford. Arguably more of a wise decision. Walks out of Evans (had limited companies he could use) with a Norco. Happy as a dog with two dicks

Keep up the good work Jon! :roll:

Mike

Back