Don't even know where to start - old school stereo advice

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I know there's a hi-fi chat and sales thread on here but having just dipped into it, I realise I haven't got a clue what anyone is on about.... :facepalm:

Picture, if you will, a very small one bed annex with very little room for anything. I reckon I could fit a low book case under a window and then I could have some sort of stereo/hi-fi system on top of that, and I would like something retro. But then again, I've only got CD's now and no tapes, as I got rid of them all, so perhaps not THAT retro. But I could buy more tapes in the charity shop....

In layman's terms (I would say 'laywoman' but that sounds vaguely rude) what makes should I be looking for, and I'm talking reasonable cost here, maybe even something I may see in the local charity shop or house clearance auction?

Even a super woofer type thing with built in speakers as there won't really be the capacity for big free standing speakers. I remember liking graphic equalisers and bass buttons. Am I wrong to want that again....?

Cheers, Kaz

(Take it away, Mr LGF)

I've got a Cambridge Audio AV amp that you could have for Peanuts; A CD deck and some speakers would have you a pretty respectable stereo?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

What's your budget? A decent pair of monitors gets rid of needing any amp, and then you can search the local BHF homeware store and raid the separates. I've picked up decent Denon stuff for my hotchpotch under 20 a piece: radio, MD, CD and MC.

I have these connected to my mixer so it's all switchable channel wise.

Re:

Ooooof yourself, Mr Cheese, always been a huge Panasonic fan, last proper system and last proper car stereo were Panasonic. Good call! Have put on watch.

Thanks Teenager, for the offer, and Al-onestare, will wait and see what sort of money these babies go for and any other advice that comes along, but sounds interesting, if you'll excuse the pun... :facepalm:

I do have a very big Panasonic available. And its retro as it comes in a flouro carry bag!

Will dig it out later.

legrandefromage":21csrhqe said:
I do have a very big Panasonic available. And its retro as it comes in a flouro carry bag!

Will dig it out later.

All my life, I have waited for such a chat up line....

A man with a big...Panasonic.....

:facepalm:

...its BIG

Just got it out

ITS HUUUGE!!!

ebay pic

$_57.JPG

Re:

Sorry LGF, somehow managed to completely miss your reply!! It hadn't 'notified' me.... :facepalm:

Is it for sale then, or what? :p

Back