Seat Post Reamer Recommendations

Rob H

Retro Guru
My not so local bike shop currently charges £20 to reamer a seatpost, my local bike shop does know what a reamer is, having had several frames done over the years I'm toying over getting a reamer and doing it myself from now on, given the cost of a reamer it will take most of my lifetime before it pays for it's self but it's worth it for having to take time of work to get to a shop the other side of town to drop of an collect the frame. I don't care for adjustable reamers, so can anyone recommend a decent suppler of 27.2mm reamers?

Re:

there was this bloke racing at Hertford Crits once with a fully drilled seatpost. His saddle snapped off after ten minutes. Turned his seatpost into a reamer....

I'm using and adjustable blade reamer. Like this one pictured. Works a charm! The one listed would give you a range between 27.0mm to 30.2mm. Which would cover most common seat-post sizes. Most of the time when you need to get a seat-post reamed, the material you need to remove is a little too much to go at once, with this one you can go under-size (remove a little at a time) then work your way up to the final size. It's also a good upper body workout (lots of sweating).
Most frames that you buy are already reamed though (no real need for one). Unless you buy some dodgy half-done Nuke Proof frame (like me) that's by no means done and needs the seat-post reamed because there's a little weld penetration on the inside of the seat-tube junction which needs professional reaming not some sand-paper flappy thing. The reamer isn't horribly expensive (disclaimer: I didn't pay for mine but I persuaded my buddy who does the ordering for the shop that we "need" and adjustable blade reamer which "happened" to be the right size I needed). In any case, I use this kind of reamer, followed by a quick run with a 180 grit carbide flex-hone. I gave up dealing with bike shops a long time ago, now I'm buying all the specialty tools I need and do all the work myself.

Attachments

• reamer.jpg
    reamer.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 1,073
Re:

Just to clarify, do you want to clean up the inside of your 'seat tube'? Use the flappy thing.
Or 'butcher' your frame in order to get some 'seat post' you have to fit? Use the grim reamer.

The only time a reamer is needed is when the frame was made.......noit sure why it should need reaming out again unless some sort of repair has been done?

Shaun

"The only time a reamer is needed is when the frame was made".
Exactly! No commercially available frame should need a reamer taken to it. If it's just clean-up you're after (rust and oxide layer removal) then you could use a flex-hone like the one pictured. They're quite a bit cheaper and available in different sizes. If a bike shop charges 20 quid to use one of those a couple of times going up and down the seat-tube with an electric drill, then it's worth getting the tool and doing it at home.

Attachments

• TL401H03.jpg
    TL401H03.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,062
Back