Tell me about GoPro's

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Who's got one ?
Are they any good ? ,especially the basic model.

Please share your experiences with us :D

Re:

I've had a Go Pro for a while now. Once I got past the initial teething troubles you have with any new gadget it's great.

It's been used for cycling, kayaking, swimming, driving around on the top of RC cars, zip wires etc etc and the image quality is excellent for both movie and stills.

As you can imagine there's a whole plethora of accessories and you will spend a fortune on them depending on what you are using it for. I bought the LCD screen as its a great asset for accurate set up, navigating menus and viewing your images.

I've found the chest strap a bit average to use in that framing the bars etc is not easy to do. That said it may just be my choice of mount. If you're going to use it on the bike, then having the bars or similar in the foreground really improves the footage. I've also got a mount under my seat facing rearward which produces some great footage, but clearly it's at risk there unless you use a mudguard to protect it.

Some things to bear in mind:
Buy the right memory card. Don't go cheap and cheerful here as I initially did. Worked out to be a waste of money and lost footage as they can't cope with the demands of the camera. I think the Go Pro web site lists recommended cards to use.

Is your PC up to the job? Old PC may means issues replaying the footage. Again, our old PC can't hack it and you get regular freezing / stuttering. Newer PC with better spec works fine.

Chews batteries so get some spares along with a charger.

As with all gadgets it spends a lot of time in the cupboard, but when you do it usually comes up trumps with some real good quality footage.

Overall - very happy with mine. Need to use it a lot more than I do.........Oh and don't forget the Go Pro curse....i.e. you'll hit the deck more regularly when it's filming!

Hope this helps.

Re:

From the ones we sell at work, There are three main models to consider. Hero (basic) hero4 silver (middle) and hero4 black (top) Dont buy the basic model because it has no Bluetooth connectivity, buy the next one up it is 70 pound extra i think but it is money worth spending. You can sync the camera to your phone ipad etc and replay your footage while out, whereas with the basic one you cannot. They both have the same recording quality but the middle range camera is more user friendly. You can also add lense attachments which you cant do with the basic model. If you want the best camera possible then buy the top of the line go pro but its not all that necessary to be fair

I had a Hero3 Black edition, the top of the range one (at the time) bought it as end of range (just before the 3+ was launched).

Didn't use all the features, hell, barely used a fraction of them. And it chewed batteries (less than an hour), picture quality is good once you get a "good" setup for what you are doing. Handlebar mounting is cack unless you ride root free trails. The bouncing is enough to induce travel sickness......

Have helmet and chest mounts now.

Also give it to the twins to wander round with, get some good footage of them doing kid things.

It eventually packed in after 18 months, i suspect being hurled at the floor by an over active toddler did for it, the shop i bought it from replaced with no hassle, but i opted for the 3+ silver. Now get nearly two hours use, still don't use half the features...... If they hadn't replaced it, i'd have bought a new one. No question.

Re:

I love mine.
I have the 'old' Hero silver, and have had it for about 2 years now.
I use mine mainly for snowboarding and biking, but have also taken it to festivals etc.
On the bike, I mainly use the chest and post mounts. As said, the bar mounts just vibrate too much.
As for boarding, I use a pole mostly. It's just the most versatile way of getting a variety of angles.

Here's some recent footage from a trip to the Austrian Alps last month (best watched in HD ;) ) ...

Bike - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7L0zH0UBw

Board - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW3kwIAGoBQ

The hazards of having £300 worth of gear attached to a piece of plastic!! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlJv0MQ3n6Y

Re: Re:

SEANSTEPHENS":1epo8k58 said:
From the ones we sell at work, There are three main models to consider. Hero (basic) hero4 silver (middle) and hero4 black (top) Dont buy the basic model because it has no Bluetooth connectivity, buy the next one up it is 70 pound extra i think but it is money worth spending. You can sync the camera to your phone ipad etc and replay your footage while out, whereas with the basic one you cannot. They both have the same recording quality but the middle range camera is more user friendly. You can also add lense attachments which you cant do with the basic model. If you want the best camera possible then buy the top of the line go pro but its not all that necessary to be fair

Fraid im not clued up on this Bluetooth thing , and i pad/phone or even phone that can play vids is beyond my ken :LOL:

But im for user friendliness.
I wane towards the basic hero because this isn't a needed thing, more like it would be nice to have around and as mentioned, would probably live in the drawer 80% of the year. But I need a bit of borrowed enthusiasm to get me out and about more.

I'll take another look at the one up model and if I can sell some of my spare stuff ill go for the higher model.

Is your PC up to the job? Old PC may means issues replaying the footage. Again, our old PC can't hack it and you get regular freezing / stuttering. Newer PC with better spec works fine.

BF4 1920x1080 ultra 70fps ;)

Back