What constitutes 'bumping' your own ad....??

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Yes, I'm well aware I may be opening a can of worms here, but the rules say 'Do not 'bump' your sale or wanted post more than once in any 24 hour period. '

However, I and one or two others here have had it made known to them that the MODs have had complaints via PM that we are bumping our own ads when answering what we thought were potential customer enquiries on the thread - things like, what's the size, what's the steerer length, etc. OK, you could argue we should have added that info from the start, but sometimes these things get forgotten. Also, if someone asks what seems a perfectly valid question, or says they want dibs, etc, should we be answering them via PM and not responding on the thread? Haven't they just 'bumped' the thread anyway themselves by asking the question....?? Isn't our answer, if fairly swift, and on the thread, not just adding said info and 'bumping' it no more than they did by asking the question anyway...?

:facepalm:

Re:

I see the same members bumping there sale/wanted add's on a daily basis, sometimes more than once.
Never heard of anybody making a complaint.

If your answering general questions in the add, about your stuff then what's the problem?

Don't worry about it, I think it would be valid to complain to a modif you looked like you were running a business selling and bumping continually.

Anyway, have a bump :-D

Controversial. ;)

I have seen an add recently with three consecutive posts within 10 minutes each with pictures from the seller. No comments made. Maybe it's about faces fitting.

@ LikeClockwork :

There's nothing wrong with answering questions ... as long as you didn't make a second account just to "ask" those questions. (Yes, someone actually tried that before, but we can find out easily enough when we notice something's off).

Replying to dibs ... hmm ... normally there's no NEED for a reply, everyone can see that someone asked for dibs.
However if there's lots of posting going on in a thread (popular item, lucky you) and multiple people ask for dibs over the course of 2 or more pages, it makes perfect sense to reply and point out who is first, 2nd, third, etc. In that case the thread will usually be near the top of the sales sub-forum anyway so it won't really make a difference.

I'd say "use common sense". And when in doubt (about either your own sales topic or that of someone else), don't be afraid to ask a mod. That's one of the things we're here for.

---

As for THM's post : Posting a picture every 10 minutes or every hour or so is technically a grey area, but it's so obvious that it's an attempt to circumvent the rules that most mods will probably count it as bumping. I know I would.
If you want to add pics, you can always edit your posts.

If you notice someone bumping his topic that way, report it or PM either a full mod or one of the section mods for that particular section.
We don't check every topic or post, so it's easy for us to miss such things.

Raging_Bulls":3stpfiel said:
As for THM's post : Posting a picture every 10 minutes or every hour or so is technically a grey area, but it's so obvious that it's an attempt to circumvent the rules that most mods will probably count it as bumping. I know I would.
If you want to add pics, you can always edit your posts.

If you notice someone bumping his topic that way, report it or PM either a full mod or one of the section mods for that particular section.
We don't check every topic or post, so it's easy for us to miss such things.

Posting new pictures at short intervals is probably people waiting for them to upload! I do it sometimes as I can only upload a couple at once.

Re:

Thanks for clearing that up, Bulls. So it looks as if I and the others have been doing nothing wrong at all, and I therefore suspect those who go straight to a mod to complain by PM without making themselves known are in fact serial complainers, or possibly have extremely small penises. Or both.

Re. pics, sometimes I have 10 to upload, for example, but only 8 can go on any one post, so I add them in a second post, but it will be almost instantly.

Rampage":kblh250j said:
Posting new pictures at short intervals is probably people waiting for them to upload! I do it sometimes as I can only upload a couple at once.

That's an issue indeed. Thanks for letting me know. You could use tinypic, imageshack or some other image hosting site and put all the links to the images in the one post. But of course then there's the privacy concerns and the fact they then own the right to the pics etc. So I understand it if people prefer not to go that route.

Technically I can't do much about people who upload a pic every so often to bump because they aren't breaking the rules per se. So it's not like you're going to get in trouble over it.
At best I could merge the posts (if that's possible, never had to try it), meaning the latter ones would disappear and the thread moves back to the position it would be in without those extra posts.

I would have thought the best clarity would have come from a pm to the mods rather than starting a thread?

KDM":jaaqn9tt said:
I would have thought the best clarity would have come from a pm to the mods rather than starting a thread?

Some people just have a "need" to publicly air their views.

Latest posts

Back