My 'big end' and the last rites

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
There has been an interesting rev related rattle from the passenger side of my engine, cambelt follower? Dunno. Sounded like a bloke hitting the engine cover with a hammer.

Took it to a mechanic friend - he's the proper mechanic friend who runs a busy workshop, not the mechanic friend who lives at the end of the street and bashes stuff with a hammer.

I'm at my friends workshop, I'm eye to eye with a brake light and a missing engine. Eh? Ah, he's just dismantled an Audi R8 due to the owners error in not putting oil in it...

Anyway, he pops the Stilo bonnet and I start the engine - 'enough! enough!' he cries. 'its dead, terminal...' 'Your bearing is gone, con rod will pop and bang away, common on this engine' So I ring the missus to tell her and pass the phone over and in his heavily Portuguese accented English he explains. Other mechanics are hanging around including the apprentice who buggered the rear wheel bearing replacement last winter and the car sales owner is chatting to me about what I do.

We suddenly hear a burst of perfect Latin as Bruno stands in front of the car, still on the phone to my missus, and offers the last rites on my engine...

He hands the phone back with the mechanics pissing themselves laughing.

My car is, or will soon be, dead. 37,000 miles since last year so I cannot complain, its been pretty reasonable for a Fiat but it will be our last . Bruno the mechanic told me so 'no more Fiats for you!'.

With a bit of luck, there is a Mercedes W124 250D on its way as a replacement.

A quik look on ebay shows complete stilo engines on for £150-200 so if you are handy with a spanner and have a mate and a spare weejend, your fiat may rise from the dead.

Probs cheaper than getting crank ground new bearni.g etc... gasket sets for modern cars are almost same price as a s/h engine!!!

If you get the 250D and need any W124 bits, let me know.
I have a 300D multivalve but broke rear halfshaft or diff. decided as the car will need more work soon I cant put any more money onto it.
We have grey full leather etc that wont fit the 230TE estate.

The w124 was sold from under me. Now it's a w210 300td instead, fingers crossed.

The stilo only 'lasted' 114,000 miles. Our old doblo made it to 200k. Must have been a duff oil change or wrong oil but add knackered bushes, dodgy injector etc. 11 months and 37000 miles of ownership is over.

The 300td should last longer if I look after it

Cool, think the early ones are the OM606 engine with a turbo, lovely and smooth.
Be good to know what you think of the 210 as I may be in the market for a large wagon soon!

Back