Best curry sauce out of a jar....?? Recommendations please!

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
You know the scenario....new relationship, offer to do us a nice curry Friday night, then realise I've had 3 years of living off baked spuds and ready meals :facepalm:

Always used to be cooking curries for a load of us every Friday night and never had any issues with the jars of sauces (I know, I know, I should be grinding my own spices in a pestle and mortar) Can't remember what brand I used to use, so has anyone got any recommendations for something gorgeous and alluring, no expense spared, or are some of the supermarket own brands pretty good...?

Nothing too hot, Jalfrezi I'm thinking....

Cheers! Kaz

(And apologies in advance to any members that fancied their chances with me. Don't worry, it might not last.... :roll: )

Re:

Im a big curry fan and usually make it up from scratch,I find all the jars bland and full of sugar/salt except for Pataks,its head and shoulders above the rest IMO.

Re:

Yep, Pataks paste is the way to go.

Really though you should buy the Hairy Bikers curry book as it's ace and easy to follow. The chicken madras is simple and delicious, as is the jalfrezi. ;)

my wife dad is indian and on the odd occasion he cant be bother making something from scratch he will only use pataks pastes.

Re:

Hmm, OK guys sounds like Patek's is the way to go, or failing that a visit to the charity shop to see if I can find the Hairy Bikers book :mrgreen:

Ta!

Yup, we swear by the pataks pastes. Very good base to make a "proper" curry, without having to keep 20 different fresh spices in stock. Most of which require a 100 mile round trip to get.

So whenever the local place has pataks pastes in stock, we buy two or three jars.

Once the kids are older and "curry hardened" i'll start keeping the spices in stock. :D

another one for pataks pastes.
i've taken to marinating the meat in some paste the night before and cooking it slowly over a low heat, really mellows the dish. dont serve piping hot as i find the flavour gets hidden too much. cook it before hand (about an hour or so before you intend to eat) then as you're cooking your rice (basmati takes less than 10 minutes) put the curry back on low heat and serve up.

like pasta sauce, its always best served after a break and a second round of putting a low heat through it.

Another +1 for Pataks.
I always marinate the meat and then add the sauce.
I usually add some more spices and powder to the sauce just to flavour it up a bit.

Back