Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

Anyone watching it? I am, and for once so is Mrs Muz. She is interested in the area as we are going there on our hols this year.
We have booked a self catering place in Slingsby near York in July. So shall I bring road or mountain bike?
Decisions, decisions

Mike

Re:

been into york today;great to see a race again.
well organized ,but the weather was cold ,they really do travel fast into the corners when the peleton gets up to speed,
when you get up here ,i would bring a mountain bike,lots of good off roads ;)

Re:

lots of mixed trails ;round york your not far from north york moors or dalby forest
good bike path to selby from york'

Re:

Cheers fella,

Seem to be plenty of road climbs too :cool:

Mike

Re:

It roadie land around there, though you can do gentle off road too.
I've stayed in slingsby a few times. Pub if still open, little shop, play area and eggs and things at farms. Farm shop due south at castle Howard. Also if you take the road north out and right next to the caravan and caning site is a bakery, very nice and they supply castle Howard and other places around the area. Nice walk or MTB ride to hivingham cafe and pubs to.

You're right next to Malton which has changed I to a coffee and bar place but still quite nice to walk around.

If you plan on rising from where you are staying, I would roadie it (and I'm not a rodie in any way) as you'll get to places and there are plenty to get too.

Re:

Hi

Yes I'm thinking more of taking a road bike now, I'll have to get my climbing legs on though ! :LOL:

Mike

Re:

Its flat from slingsby to the north until you get to the moors. South has small hills, east is flat, west is flatish.
Of course being a road bike you'll hit hill very quickly.
Have a look ont web at http://www.northernride.com/ Facebook is probably the better place to chat to them, but they put on ride in the area and will probably help with some good routes for overweight struggling to keep the bike vertical after 10miles retrobiker. Assuming you are as fit as the average retrobiker.

Re:

Oh I definitely need hills . Flat is just boring. I like the look of the cote de cow and calf! :LOL:

Mike

Back