Shipping from US

Owwwwk

Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
Hi retrobikers,

May I want so sent over an bike from the US to europe. Does anyone have got an idea of shippingcosts?

If I am correct there used to be an topic for retrobikers that help overseas bikers with shipping. Are there any US bikers who are willing to receive an package and than resend it again to Europe?

Shipping fees are always bad, especially frames or wheels as they calculate based upon the total volume or the parcel. A frame is surrounded by air/packaging as are wheels to protect them so the price is always much higher.

Sending via sea is really cheap as it goes into a big container but takes a couple of months. Plus side of container is the lack of duty as it goes though as one package whereas via airmail to get to 'handle'** each. They can then charge a 'handling' fee.

Small tight containers ,best actually there you make your own. Easy to bend and stick cardboard. The less room they take up the better and the cheaper.

** Kick around the work area.

Re:

I checked not too long ago and the cost of shipping a frame from the U.S. to the UK was something around 75$ with USPS cheapest option. If you exclude the wheels, it might be still the same price since the weight is not really an issue and the volume would be the same more or less. In my opinion it's not that expensive, especially if you grab a bargain. Import duties and other fees you might get slammed on your end might sour the deal.

Re:

The last time I shipped a bike to the UK from California via USPS (this is a big country and shipping from the East Coast of the US, 3000 miles from here, might be cheaper) for a fellow Retrobiker, I used one box for the wheels and one box for everything else, and it cost about $180.00 US...

Back