Fitting a door lock

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I have to secure a workroom with a mortise lock so got to it this very morning.

Step 1. After measuring and marking out, remove the majority of the timber using an auger.
Step 2. After squaring the mortice with a chisel,make a trial fit and adjust the size as needed by shaving a bit off the sides using wide chisel.

Attachments

• Fitting a door lock 002 (Custom).JPG
    Fitting a door lock 002 (Custom).JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 685
  • Fitting a door lock 001 (Custom).JPG
    Fitting a door lock 001 (Custom).JPG
    78 KB · Views: 685
Re:

Always make sure you have a tight grip on the chisel.

:facepalm: 4 stitches

Attachments

• Fitting a door lock 004 (Custom).JPG
    Fitting a door lock 004 (Custom).JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 684
The History Man":75hn45zi said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p_mdGtY26Y

First thing I thought of.

:LOL: I used to laugh at this too.
Ach well, latest lesson learned.

Ouch, and that was just the ring block anaesthetic :( have you got it covered with something to keep it clean?

Shaun

Re:

My sympathies, I have a good idea how it feels - I made a valiant effort years ago at slicing my finger off in almost exactly the same place with a sharp scythe - I can still feel the blade running along the bone in my mind and cringe every time I do :(

I will say the finger must be one of the most painful places I've ever had an injection - I don't seem to respond very well to local anaesthetics and so they had a good few attempts... there isn't much flesh there to get a needle into and I'm sure the injections were more painful than the injury!

You'll have to become more ambidextrous for a while, it's amazing how awkward life is when that part of your right hand is out of action (hmm - on second thoughts are you left handed, given the damage is to your right?)

Re: Re:

ajm":s3ycj9rl said:
My sympathies, I have a good idea how it feels - I made a valiant effort years ago at slicing my finger off in almost exactly the same place with a sharp scythe - I can still feel the blade running along the bone in my mind and cringe every time I do :(

I will say the finger must be one of the most painful places I've ever had an injection - I don't seem to respond very well to local anaesthetics and so they had a good few attempts... there isn't much flesh there to get a needle into and I'm sure the injections were more painful than the injury!

You'll have to become more ambidextrous for a while, it's amazing how awkward life is when that part of your right hand is out of action (hmm - on second thoughts are you left handed, given the damage is to your right?)

Indeed, a leftie :D

I have to ask , a Scythe whatever were you doing with that :?

Previous incarnation(about 17 years) as a butcher,so cuts ? :? i've had them all and especially on that index finger and thumb. This latest isnt as sore as it might be normally as i went through a big nerve in my wrist boning out a shoulder of beef one day and its pretty much numb since.
I was wearing chainmail at the time only this went above the cuff and got me.
You may also notice that the top of the damaged digit is a little oddly shaped.
Managed to get that bit trapped between the tooling and material clamp on a metal planer aged 16. 28 stitches on that one :LOL:

I know :facepalm: I should stay well clear of sharp edges and moving machinery

Re: Re:

dyna-ti":36am5n2b said:
I have to ask , a Scythe whatever were you doing with that :?

Well, I had been cutting weeds with it - I'd borrowed a sharpening stone from someone else and in the evening, having finished working with the scythe I thought I'd give the blade a once-over with the stone before returning it. Only, the blade had been sitting on the grass and the dew had started to come in so the blade was rather more slippery than I thought, hence my running the side of my index finger nearly the whole length of the blade :( (I'm cringing again!)

Can't compete with the butchery injuries thankfully though I know my family wish I would also stay away from sharp tools... life would be very dull without woodwork and metalwork though :)

Back