Chromebook advice needed

KDM

Senior Retro Guru
Needed to replace the old desktop so thought I'd give a chromebook a chance. Liked the fast start up speed and as I use the old desk top for memory the chromebook would be for no storage but just internet searches, forums , emails etc

However I clearly didn't do my research as the usual items i have like cc cleaner, revu uninstaller but mostly skype, don't seem to be allowed on chromebooks.

Does anyone have a chromebook and have found a way to use skype, I tried funnily enough goggle and what info that is offered seems to contradict each other which is made worse by my lack of technical ability.

You can't get anything like iTunes or any third party software on a Chromebook - only what you can get off the Google Play Store. It's like a cross between a laptop and an Android tablet with very few benefits, also it's not super intuitive and you need a Google account just to use it IIRC. They also aren't that keen on wi-fi profiles and other such stuff, there's nowhere near the support for them that you'd have with Windows.

Personally wouldn't bother with one if you need it for anything at all more than web browsing and the occasional text document, but seeing as you're looking for a web browsing machine you *might* be okay. Suggest you try one out before you get it - I wasn't keen on it.

Thanks for the replies. Tried the link but had seen it before. It doesn't work.

I had done some research and knew they were restrictive but the strong points were they are excellent for just general internet use, emails, browsing. forums etc. I checked it had a web cam so it didn't even occur to me skype wouldn't be able to be used on a chromebook. Tor also isn't liked by chromebooks.

They are very quick but quite restrictive in what you can use on them. Unfortunately I couldn't take it back due to me not researching it enough.

Great for browsing, useless for everything else :LOL:

Personally, I like them. I bought one for my dad. A computer you don't have to think about or do any maintenance on, that should never get any malware. I never need to think about it.

While you can't directly use Skype, you can use Google Hangouts, which is every bit as good. The people you're calling need Google accounts, but that is free.

Re:

For most of my day to day needs the chromebook is brilliant and skype is the only bug bear so I'll use the old desktop for that

Re: Re:

KDM":ub9be3em said:
For most of my day to day needs the chromebook is brilliant and skype is the only bug bear so I'll use the old desktop for that

Once you get in 'the groove' there is nothing better. Not used a windows pc for 6 months at home and don't miss it at all. The Google help community is useful for workarounds etc.

Actually I'm considering getting one, but I'd put Linux on it rather than ChromeOs. You may want to look in that direction, KDM.

There are several guides on how to install Ubuntu on Chromebooks. If new operating systems make you nervous, ZorinOS mimics the look and feel of XP. It's based on Ubuntu but uses a lot less resources, making it ideal for something like this.

You can install skype, LibreOffice and whatever programs you need in the Software Center, which is basically like an appstore for full-on programs.

If you're not very tech-savvy, get a tech-savvy friend to help you with it though.

Latest posts

Back