DIY Q? electrical

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Can you use a dimmer switch and energy saving light bulbs?

Not sure what the official answer is but having tried this i would say no. From my experience the light only comes on when the switch is set to its brightest. But to be honest i never left it very long, so it may make a difference once the bulb has heated up as they tend to br brighter then.

Easy answer......no.

More complicated one.......no, well actually yes.....with some that are specially designed to work with them, but normally......no. ;)

Usually on the packaging for the bulb it will state whether it is dimmable.
If in doubt, no is the answer.
However, if you have a ceiling fan with light socket, pop in a compact flouro, they have a habit of randomly flickering when the light isn't switched on, cant recall the exact reason why -something about the fan motor windings, but it will keep your partner up all night freaking out about it!! Cruel, but funny.

I've used them with 'dimmer' and works fine but for a buzzing sound from the switch

Ok I'll try this one

I have a light circuit with 1 overhead light and 2 switches. I replaced the switches and backing boxes as well as changing the light pendant for an ikea job. The old backing boxes were wooden and the switches an indeterminate age so decided to change the lot.

Every thing was hunky-dory until the light was on for an extended period of time(i.e. more than 10mins anyway) when upon switching off the light would flicker(very slightly) back on. I've checked the connections and tried replacing one of the light switches(temporarily tried the dimmer switch with same fault).

Any ideas, p.s. I won't hold anybody's advice against them.

im running a dimmer switch on a energy bulb, have dont now 10 yrs not one problem. i know you shouldnt but hey.

i dont tell anyone its my job. lol :D

Back