eBay postage (again I suspect)

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Just got something off eBay for 99p. Postage was quoted as £10 which I paid. Item shows up with postage cost £2.80. I contact the seller who responds along the lines of "you knew how much postage was, I didn't try to deceive just didn't know how much and wanted to cover myself". I suggested a partial refund and got "you paid as listed, so thats it. I dont get your your complaint - perhaps you don't think it's worth £11 in which case you shouldnt have bid".

Thoughts?

I guess the £10 includes £7.20 of his time boxing it up and getting it to the post office.

Personally, I'd refund the difference, but he's right, you knew the cost going in.

How long do you think you'd be busy if you were to start a Paypal claim? At some point within the first hour it just won't be worth the time you invest into getting that £7.20 back.

I have a rule of thumb for these things. I make around £10 per hour at work, so if I need to spend an hour to claim for something less than £10, I may as well ignore the loss and spend an extra hour at work (scale those numbers up and down as needed). Much better for my mood and blood pressure.

A couple of weeks ago a shipment of extension cables for my PC's fans got lost in the mail.
I just can't be bothered to start an argument over the £5 involved, so I told the seller that they never arrived and that I'd just buy a new set. He sent it signed for at my request and we ended up splitting the shipping costs.
Having a 2 hour argument reduced to a polite 3-message conversation was well worth the £5 that I ended up losing.

I would never bother selling something so cheap TBH. 99p is just not worth my time, as it takes me a minimum of 10 mins to package something up, and then 20-30 mins to post.

Just my 2p.

People used to sell stuff cheap with high postage to get round Ebay fees. Ebay got smart and now charge on postage as well.

But you see a price you pay the price, no use wingeing afterwards.

Charging on postage - yeah, nice one eBay. So if you're honest and get things weighed and priced for postage before the auction you are actually out of pocket at the end of the sale.....

My opinion if you we're quoted a tenner for postage (and you were happy that a tenner was a reasonable postage cost) then you pay a tenner for postage. No argument.

What was it for? Was a tenner reasonable for postage? (i.e. bulky or heavy item?)

I think people started adding inflated P&P charges on eBay not long after they discovered fire. The only time I would pay attention to P&P as a separate entity, is if I was intending to collect in person (which I have yet to do on eBay). Otherwise, I consider all items as 'free postage' and the P&P charges as the opening bid. I then adjust my highest bid to suit the overall price I would be happy to pay for the item. Win-win, I get the item for a price I am happy with, and the seller is happy that he feels he has skimmed an extra couple of quid on the sale price if that's what's important to him.

There was a frame (only) on a couple of days ago with £25 P&P charges. I still bid on it, it just meant my highest bid was £10-15 lower than it would have been had the seller included realistic P&P charges.

Most 2nd Class parcels are £2:80 and EBay's default setting on the iPad is £2:80. I've sold a few things recently of various weights and they have all come in at £2:80. If he wanted more for the item why didn't he start it at £10 ?
I'd call him a dick and give negative feedback!!!!!

misteroo":142hyuak said:
Most 2nd Class parcels are £2:80 and EBay's default setting on the iPad is £2:80. I've sold a few things recently of various weights and they have all come in at £2:80. If he wanted more for the item why didn't he start it at £10 ?
I'd call him a dick and give negative feedback!!!!!

eBay charges you 10% of postage so you've lost money.

Latest posts

Back