Single Malt Whisky .....Help...which one !!

Ernie

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Want to surprise a very good {German} mate whilst travelling Scotland "fell in love" with single malts..I am no expert on this "fire" water.. To me it tastes like paint stripper :oops: {sorry to our keltic brethren}.. I will be visting the Fatherland in May

:D As always thanks for any help or pointers :D

Ernie ;)

Re:

Sorry for the predictable response, but it's a bit like saying your friend likes food, and you want to buy him a nice meal. Do you know what he has tried and liked before? One man's meat is another man's poison, but imo, some good 'all rounder' whiskies are The Balvennie, Glenrothes, or Macallan - nice flavour, but quite balanced. Something slightly less 'supermarket' but in the same category might be one of the Arran offerings. They produce some excellent whiskies.

My personal preference is a Caol Ila 18 y.o., absolutely delicious stuff (which reminds me, my bottle is nearly empty!). Quite smoky compared to the above, but If he likes the Islays, he will love it.

#cravingwhiskyathalftwointheafternoon

Laphroaig is one of my favourites though can be a bit strong flavoured for some (peaty, smokey) and you can find a reasonably priced bottle in most supermarkets

Re:

Germans tend to be extremely well versed on whisky, as well as wine and beer.

I have some sailing friends who import whisky in Germany, and am amazed at their ability to put it away tour after tour as I drive them from one charter to the next.

If you know which area your friend was touring when he fell in love with the malts it would be a good start.

Given that there is no such thing as a best malt, you can't go very far wrong with a bottle of the Macallan - it is well recognised as a very fine whisky and anyone would be delighted to receive a bottle.

Bullpup":gsih2imd said:
Given that there is no such thing as a best malt, you can't go very far wrong with a bottle of the Macallan - it is well recognised as a very fine whisky and anyone would be delighted to receive a bottle.

Shame on you for not saying Glenkinchie!

:LOL:

For a smokey peaty one I'd go with Laphroaig too... The 18 y.o.

For a smoother rich flavored Whisky, Oban 14 y.o. is my favorite!

Latest posts

Back